Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: G.Fast - Understanding a difference of information between ISP and Openreach  (Read 7961 times)

re0

• Reg Member

Code: [Select]
Max:    Upstream rate = 66064 Kbps, Downstream rate = 345788 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 49871 Kbps, Downstream rate = 330011 Kbps

303139 (BRAS) / 0.88 = 344,476 (rounded)
330011 (sync (modem)) * 0.88 = 290,410 (rounded)
313174 (sync (user portal)) * 0.88 = 275,593 (rounded)
313174 (sync (user portal)) / 0.88 = 355,880 (rounded)

I have a feeling it is closer to 91-92% as opposed to 88%, since the first two calculations seem to make sense using that. I actually don't know the answer, but I would not be too surprised if G.fast needed a larger overhead for high INP.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

fat jez

Thanks for this. Makes you wonder if 330Mbps was chosen as the sync rate because it gives around 300Mbps after potential overheads?
Zen G.fast 330/50

adslmax

• Kitizen

Good afternoon all,

This isn't a problem as such, but i've raised this so that I can add to my own knowledge and understand my line and G.Fast technology a little better.

I've had a visit from a fantastic and helpful Openreach engineer this week in relation to my G.Fast circuit.

According to his measurement equipment (see pic below) that was plugged in to my line, it is capable of 253mb or thereabouts.

This is broadly similar to the maximum observed rate that is noted for my line via the Openreach database (see image below) - please note that the engineer reading and max observed rate are both on the same day.

There is a difference between the sync speed that is reported on my ISP's portal, however, (see image below)  The measured throughput on my line (setup is a MT992 + AC68-U running latest Merlin) is consistent with the sync speeds that my ISP is reporting when overheads are taken into account.

Does anyone know why there might be such a big difference between Openreach's information and that from my ISP?

I look forward to seeing what the experts on here make of this :)

Your line stats much similiar to mine!

244/40 for G.fast (probably line length of 320m away)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything