Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: G.Fast - Understanding a difference of information between ISP and Openreach  (Read 7845 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

If so, seems fair enough.   

I paid £120 for my VMG8324 because it was the first decent VDSL2 modem/router that was under £200.  I took a risk because it was brand new to the UK and I've not regretted a single penny of it, despite they are now much cheaper.

Bearing in mind choice is very limited for g.fast modems and that the ASUS DSL-AC88U is £200+  then even if the Zyxel is £150 it still seems a decent option.  When the market has little competition then prices do tend to be steep - look at the stupid prices the Huawei MT992 can command on ebay. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

re0

• Reg Member

The XMG3927-B50A cost me a little under £150 from A&A, but would be unable to say what the price would be now - may be worth enquiring.

The DSL-AC88U has a slightly higher WiFi spec at AC3100, versus AC2400 on the XMG3927-B50A - although given the price and functionality required, it will be down to your judgement which is likely better. I haven't tried the former, only the latter. Can't say I have had any significant issues with the device as a router, and the modem side of things has been really solid.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

spudgun

• Reg Member

Thank you both for that, I will consider it at the end of July when I get paid. I have experience with VMG8324 and VMG8924 on my line when it had FTTC - but neither performed as well as a HG612 in terms of connection speed and reliability and I prefered the routing options that were available on my trusty AC68U - although it might be tempting to try a single box on G.fast to get access to stats.

Out of interest, for those who aren't on max sync on G.fast - is there a noticable difference between the max observed downstream on the wholesale checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/and what you can see either via your ISP or modem, or even what your best guess is from speed testing your line?

adslmax

• Kitizen

If you're interested in stats, I would recommend the XMG3927-B50A. You can find the stats in the UI and also use SSH/telnet, and it is possible to use DSL stats with (as I do, with the Raspberry Pi).

I like to know this too. Any instruction how to use my XMG3927-B50A work with dslstats (for FTTC connected)

re0

• Reg Member

DSLStats just needs to be configured to use the xdslctl command, and it will be fine.

fat jez

I was going to start my own thread about my G.fast experience so far, but Spudgun’s experiences seem similar to mine.

I had G.fast enabled last Thursday, the 25th July.  The OR engineer replaced my socket and left me with a Huawei MT992 modem. He was a good guy and we had a good chat (I’m an ex mobile telecoms engineer).  One of the things he showed me was his test equipment plugged into my socket, showing a download sync of just over 350 and an upload in the mid to high 50s. I didn’t get the SNR. My line length is just under 180m (that came from him as well).

This ties in with the ADSL Wholesale page. (See first attachment), which shows 330 down and 50 up.

However, my line speed is just over 300Mbps (see second attachment), which makes me wonder if I have a stuck IP profile? I’d have expected to get about an extra 16Mbps on my line. Am I just being impatient and need to give things time to stabilise?

Like Spudgun, I find the lack of line stats to be frustrating!
Zen G.fast 330/50

re0

• Reg Member

One of the things he showed me was his test equipment plugged into my socket, showing a download sync of just over 350 and an upload in the mid to high 50s.
Those are attainable rates. Line will sync in line with the profile - 330/50 Mbps max.

However, my line speed is just over 300Mbps (see second attachment), which makes me wonder if I have a stuck IP profile? I’d have expected to get about an extra 16Mbps on my line. Am I just being impatient and need to give things time to stabilise?
I'm with Zen, also sync'd at the full 330/50. I get approx. 293 Mbps downstream in speedtests. Line data shows sync rate at approx 313 Mbps. Line rate data hasn't updated sinc earlier this month, though I don't think either of us have a stuck profile; I don't think things will change for you.

You do have the option of buying your own hardware! :) Zyxel XMG3927-B50A certainly recommended.

adslmax

• Kitizen

First of all, congrats to your G.fast 330/50 as for Zyxel XMG3927-B50A are certainly recommended and ask AAISP to send you one but you have to pay £153.98 inc P&P with Royal Mail Tracked 24 and this will work with DSLstats with xdslctl command config.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:57:29 AM by adslmax »

fat jez

Those are attainable rates. Line will sync in line with the profile - 330/50 Mbps max.

Yes, I know. :) I was trying to indicate they my line sync should be at the maximum 330/50 because there's some headroom. I'm the only G.fast user on my cabinet, or perhaps more accurately, I was the first G.fast user on my cabinet, so there shouldn't be any issues with interference (although it should have vectoring to take care of this anyway).

I'm with Zen, also sync'd at the full 330/50. I get approx. 293 Mbps downstream in speedtests. Line data shows sync rate at approx 313 Mbps. Line rate data hasn't updated sinc earlier this month, though I don't think either of us have a stuck profile; I don't think things will change for you.

Your speedtest is in line with mine. I was expecting my IP Profile would be around 319.44, (96.4% of 330), rather than the 303077 Kbps that Zen shows. They also indicate my sync rate is 313110, rather than 330000, which is what prompted my original question.

You do have the option of buying your own hardware! :) Zyxel XMG3927-B50A certainly recommended.

I know. But G.fast modems (I don't need a router, I have a Netgear Orbi wireless setup) are as rare as hen's teeth. Ones that do stats are even rarer! I'm holding out hope for the Draytek V166.

Thanks for your responses, it does seem as though my line is in the right ball park area, performance wise.
Zen G.fast 330/50

fat jez

First of all, congrats to your G.fast 330/50 as for Zyxel XMG3927-B50A are certainly recommended and ask AAISP to send you one but you have to pay £153.98 inc P&P with Royal Mail Tracked 24 and this will work with DSLstats with xdslctl command config.

Thanks Max :) £153.98 is a bit more than I'd want to pay for a modem at the moment, especially one that doesn't yet have a proven track record (i.e. I can't find much about it). I'm hoping the Draytek V166 will be more widely available and also support line stats.

*edit* I see why the Zyxel is so pricey, it’s a router, not a modem.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:05:28 AM by fat jez »
Zen G.fast 330/50

j0hn

• Kitizen

Perhaps G.Fast defaults to Retransmission High, which would give an IP profile nearer 91%.
That would fit more with both your speed tests.

No idea if the stats on the Zyxel show bearer 0 info with G.Fast.

Also need to take in to account that the engineers JDSU syncs higher than the Huawei modem.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

re0

• Reg Member

Bearer 0 from the Zyxel:
Code: [Select]
                        Bearer 0
INP:            550.00          535.00
INPRein:        0.00            0.00
delay:          0               0
PER:            0.00            467.44
OR:             755.48          297.33
AgR:            34526.15        26598.55

I would have thought that the higher INP level necessary for G.fast would have been at least part of the reason. No INPRein here though.

fat jez

Also need to take in to account that the engineers JDSU syncs higher than the Huawei modem.

I didn't know that! :) He was syncing at ~350Mbps and the ADSL Wholesale checker shows me at 330/50, can these figures be trusted? i.e. am I actually syncing at 330/50? My upload speed tests at around 48Mbps suggest that the upload figure at least is accurate.

Without line stats I'm blind and I don't want to waste money buying a router when I only need a modem.
Zen G.fast 330/50

re0

• Reg Member

He was syncing at ~350Mbps and the ADSL Wholesale checker shows me at 330/50, can these figures be trusted? i.e. am I actually syncing at 330/50? My upload speed tests at around 48Mbps suggest that the upload figure at least is accurate.
If his JDSU was sync'd at 330 with a nice bit of overhead with max rate of ~350 Mbps, your modem should not have much trouble maintaining 330 if it's a clean line with not much interference. I have found the DSL checker to be reliable in the sync rate results it returns, though the downside is that the data can be a few days old. 48 Mbps upstream is about what I get, too.

fat jez

re0, you appear to have line stats. can you see your sync speed? The reason I ask, is the line data on Zen's customer portal says that the BRAS profiles is listed in the Downstream column and is 88% of the current sync rate.  That would put my sync rate at 354594 (figure from download column divided by 0.88).

How does your download figure compare to 88% of your sync speed?
Zen G.fast 330/50
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything