Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Modem Errors..  (Read 8428 times)

Re: Modem Errors..
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 09:29:13 PM »

Thanks. I've tried telling them till I'm blue in the face that there isn't enough errors showing at 6db for the DLM to intervene. They just aren't listening. This was their last response. Does it make sense to you? I'm getting no drops in SNR & the router isn't dropping connection. They also said that everything is automatic now & they don't have the ability to adjust anything.

If your router was constantly in sync at 8Mbps when you was with Virgin with no connection drops or performance issue then you won't have had the issue with fluctuating background noise that you have now, something has obviously changed somewhere

You can see the noise on the line yourself by checking your router stats. When I reset DLM earlier the router was in sync at 8.1Mbps with an SNR of 6.1db, the sync speed has now dropped to 4.4Mbps with a SNR of 6.1db (DLM hasn't changed your profile since I optimised earlier)

The drop in speed is due to the increase in background noise causing the router to lose sync and resync at a lower speed - the fact that your router is now in sync at half the speed but the same SNR shows the increase in background noise (if DLM had just randomly capped your speed at 4.4Mbps with no change in background noise then your SNR would now be 16db not 6db
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:32:24 PM by 8062282 »
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom...

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 10:47:10 PM »

They also said that everything is automatic now & they don't have the ability to adjust anything.

That is, unfortunately, a load of old hog-wash.  >:(

Somewhere, in TT-land, the script-writers have confused what is (& is not) possible for an LLU'd ADSL2+ circuit with what is (& is not) possible for a VDSL2 circuit. In the former case, an LLU'd ADSL2+ circuit, it is connected to a TT owned, a TT configured and a TT operated MSAN. In the latter case, a VDSL2 circuit, it is connected to an Openreach owned, an Openreach configured and an Openreach operated MSAN (operating as a DSLAM).  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 01:39:48 AM »

Try the Talktalk community forums.

The OCE's (UK based Talktalk staff) are pretty good.

Somewhere, in TT-land, the script-writers have confused what is (& is not) possible for an LLU'd ADSL2+ circuit with what is (& is not) possible for a VDSL2 circuit. In the former case, an LLU'd ADSL2+ circuit, it is connected to a TT owned, a TT configured and a TT operated MSAN. In the latter case, a VDSL2 circuit, it is connected to an Openreach owned, an Openreach configured and an Openreach operated MSAN (operating as a DSLAM).  ::)

I think that for older customers the who had DLM off, it can remain that way.
They rolled out a new DLM a couple years ago and often claim no ability to disable the DLM.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 12:32:18 PM »

The drop in speed is due to the increase in background noise causing the router to lose sync and resync at a lower speed - the fact that your router is now in sync at half the speed but the same SNR shows the increase in background noise (if DLM had just randomly capped your speed at 4.4Mbps with no change in background noise then your SNR would now be 16db not 6db

But your SNR Margin is 16dB.   What on earth are they looking at?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2019, 05:18:36 PM »

Try the Talktalk community forums.

The OCE's (UK based Talktalk staff) are pretty good.   I think that for older customers the who had DLM off, it can remain that way. They rolled out a new DLM a couple years ago and often claim no ability to disable the DLM.

I'm on the TT help & support forum & it's the OCE's that are responding.  I've asked if they can switch the DLM off & they said they can't. My interpretation of that is, they can, but won't  :lol:

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2019, 05:23:12 PM »

They claim that the DLM is fully automated & the only thing they can do is optimise the line & restart the training period.  I did ask them who sets the profile up when they have a new customer as I didn't expect the DLM to guess the profile. I never got an answer.  If they have to set the profile up in the 1st place, I'm guessing it can be adjusted..
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:01:02 PM by 8062282 »

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2019, 05:42:13 PM »

But your SNR Margin is 16dB.   What on earth are they looking at?

Good question. I have no idea. It's never done that before in all the time I've been monitoring my connection. It's happened on a couple of nights. The worst one being on the start of a weekend. Switching the modem off & leaving it off for 30 mins didn't make any difference nor did a quick re-boot. I had to wait until Monday when they optimised the line & that then brought the SNR back down to 6dB.  They're still maintaining I have unacceptable background noise which is why my speed isn't increasing. I can see the errors but to me, they look fine. I'm still getting a huge spike in ES at night which I'd like to get to the bottom of. Not sure what those daytime one's are. I'm at work so they could be anything. Some days are OK & other days I get bigger random spikes of ES. All in all the total never looks that bad.

My full tally of errors for yesterday is below. I would say they're OK:

Average error rates for 10 Jul 2019

CRC erors per hour:  33.4 Down,  0.46 Up
FEC erors per hour:  504 Down,  1.71 Up
HEC erors per hour:  245 Down,  0.23 Up
ES per hour:  7.45 Down,  0.28 Up
SES per hour:  0.93 Down,  0 Up
Pages: 1 2 [3]