Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ADSL Line Outages - Equipment or Line  (Read 9955 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: ADSL Line Outages - Equipment or Line
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 06:27:27 PM »

I don't know how many continuous SES it takes, I would expect the setting to survive a retrain, its status should be reported in the output of xdslctl profile --show

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 07:14:27 PM »

From testing so far "sesdrop" seems to work to bring the line back once the spasm hits.  But the setting seems to get lost, not immediately after a retrain but at some time after a few drops.   Needs a bit more investigation to understand why, but annoyingly applying the setting causes a retrain so I don't want to just do it on a whim.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »

Openreach are useless!!  Not always of course, but the combination of poor coordination plus the chance of striking unlucky with the guy who turns up means that they appear that way. 

So this fault is apparently being handled by the "Complex Fault Team", and has been escalated to the "DSO", whatever those two terms mean.   However the guy who turned up had no prior information or briefing and wasn't even particularly interested in the fault description.  Just wanted to run his tests and take it from there as if nobody had ever looked before.  He kept referring to it as "losing synch" even though I reminded him each time that it doesn't lose synch.   After disappearing saying he'd be back shortly, it appears all he's done is apply a 12dB profile to the line and closed the fault off.  The only update back to A&A is .. "Please retest with customer and if issue persist accept the KSU and raise fault with a 2 day lead time on appointment to provide time to complete joint investigations between us and Openreach case management teams."

I'm pretty annoyed at the attitude, and the waste of time.  Not only did we have to wait in all afternoon because he said he'd be back (didn't even have the courtesy to call in and say he wouldn't be returning), but it's wasted at least a week until we can get another appointment.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 04:56:06 PM »

So this fault is still dragging on.  Latest was a planned port change at the exchange ("TPM") which was supposed to happen today.  The line is down now and AA have been told there are too many faulty ports for the work to be completed.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 11:09:47 PM »

Am thinking about you. Sending supportive telepathic packets eastwards. Damned nuisance.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2019, 11:13:32 AM »

Cheers.  It moved on a little since then.  The "TPM" was carried out next day after 22 hours downtime, which to be fair is within the "up to 24 hours" that we were warned about.  The 12 hours later the line was down just after midnight and stayed locked up until 09:27 when A&A brought it back by forcing a profile change.
Pages: 1 2 [3]