Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hotel 15% Off.  (Read 1286 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Hotel 15% Off.
« on: June 19, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »

If a Hotel advertises that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exclusive Members Offer
Save An Extra 15%
REGISTER NOW & SAVE 15% ON THE BEST AVAILABLE RATE*
REGISTER NOW & SAVE
* We guarantee that you will not find cheaper rates or better offers than those on our website anywhere else online. If you do then we will happily refund the difference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I register. 
Then to be told there must be a fault as that is not in use now when I inquire about a booking.
Is there a law about that.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Hotel 15% Off.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 06:19:20 PM »

A lawyer penfriend (e-friend?) of mine suggests contacting the ASA misleading advertising but otherwise you will have a devil of a job forcing them to stand by it.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »

Oddly enough, I was checking to a London hotel a few weeks ago, the guy in front in the queue was trying to book a few rooms for later in the year.   He’d done his homework and come armed with available rates for his chosen dates from respectable online sources, booking.com, laterooms etc. 

Despite the hotel’s own rate being advertised as “best available”, the receptionist was unable to price-match the online rates.  Apparently the definition of “best available” was buried in the small print, and defined in such a way as to exclude external booking services. :'(

I personally have come to dislike hotel discounts.   Like air travel, I’d like to see a return to the days when there the rate was fixed and non negotiable.  You knew where you stood, and competition between suppliers was settled based on levels of service, and genuine prices, rather than completely undefined prices.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 06:25:06 AM »

I certainly wouldn't like to see a return to the above, prices would increase especially where there wasn't  many hotels.

We were in Canada eight years ago and our late night flight was cancelled, we walked across to one of the hotels, they had available rooms but was very expensive. We went to McDonalds, went online and got the same room much cheaper, then walked back to the hotel and checked in  :)

Walk in off the street prices are typically a lot higher in commercial workshops, account customers get much better pricing, it's always been that way. Same with hotels, if your going to use the front door (their own website or phone, or especially walk-in) then your not going to get the best price.

However deceptive practices like saying best price available and hiding behind terms is misleading and unacceptable, but unfortunately it goes on.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »

I don’t agree that prices would rise, overall.      I occasionally fly home to Glasgow, and have been doing so for 40 years.   These days, I nearly always manage to get a decently discounted rate, and sometimes a heavily discounted rate.  It works, making me feel I have got a bargain.    But when I look back to the prices of 1980s when all were fixed, and then adjust for inflation using Bank of England calculator, the 1980s prices were broadly similar to today’s typical actual ticket price.  Plus we got free booze and free food, a lot more legroom, no charge for luggage, and prettier air hostesses.   Ok I admit, the last item might be my imagination, but I’m fairly sure about the rest.

Fixed prices might see the disappearance of the occasional spectacular bargain on a flight or hotel  but every time a hotel or airline offers a spectacular bargain, they have to charge another customer more to make their books balance.   If we could get away from advertising “prices from xyz”, and move to “price is xyz” then it would create more competition to drive down actual prices.   Only my opinion, of course.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »

Forgot to say this Hotel is in Gibraltar  :blush:

They must be under the same rules as the UK ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.