Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT Digital Voice Trial  (Read 9047 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: BT Digital Voice Trial
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 02:11:32 AM »

For those with residential FTTP - BT they are now seeking volunteers to beta test their Digital Voice service.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 10:21:57 AM »

Digital Voice will give you the same reliability, trust and familiarity of your current home phone service

Which is literally impossible to promise and a lie.  For a lot of people, just plugging a wired phone into the socket and knowing it will work, even during a power cut, is a big deal.  Digital Voice does not offer this, so how can they claim its the same reliability and familiarity as their current home phone service?

I'd also argue that Internet problems happen far more than physical line problems for most people, again a hit on the reliability.

No matter the benefits, glossing over the huge increase in pitfalls is not good.

I also think its going to be a hard sell unless they drop call charges to be competitive with mobile.  If I could call at the same price on my landline as O2 and Three charge, I would have used it a LOT more as the call quality is so much better.  If my landline will effectively be using my mobile (because why on earth bother having a home phone at all once its VoIP), then this becomes even more relevant.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »

Agree with @AAUK.
Will I be guaranteed that my phone will work for many hours (or even at all) during a power outage? - Answer NO, unless I supply and maintain my own UPS.
Will the emergency services immediately know my location if I call them? - I don't know that answer to this, but I suspect not.
They need to be honest about this.

Also a good point about phone calls. If calls are just part of my data stream then perhaps they should be included in my data allowance (ie unlimited and thus free).
 :no:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:24:28 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 09:54:18 AM »

@tubaman

I did read the other day that there maybe a battery backup for vulnerable people.

Sorry for bumping these old threads, I have not been around lately. :-)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2022, 04:40:54 AM »

AFAIK all VoIP services require your address to be registered for emergency services use.  Of course that's a bit of a problem if you're currently using it on your smartphone from who knows where.  But I guess in an emergency you would make a cell call which could be traced.

It certainly does still bother me a little that there is no way I will be able to power an ONT, router and VoIP for as long as the exchange would remain powered in an emergency.

Certainly agree that its a bit of a money making scheme as sooner or later 99% of calls will be VoIP and they will still be wanting to charge for them.  That said, SIP doesn't exactly handle NAT well so you kinda still want a middle-man to handle the call and wouldn't be able to call someone behind CG-NAT directly without it.

Theoretically if its setup correctly you should be able to call someone via their IP address, though I've never figured how to get that working.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

EC300

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2022, 01:12:49 PM »

...Theoretically if its setup correctly you should be able to call someone via their IP address, though I've never figured how to get that working.

I've had this working, the issue is though most VoIP kit has this option turned off, (receiving calls directly via IP address) as with it on, port scanners soon find the waiting open SIP port and start to SPIT (Spam over Internet Telephony), and you get all sorts of rubbish calls.

Typically calls with traditional VoIP providers are not charged when calling someone else also with the same provider, for example Sipgate to Sipgate calls are free regardless if dialed using the "telephone number" rather than an IP address.  I doubt that applies to BT though!

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2022, 02:05:26 PM »

There's no doubt about it, it doesn't apply to BT.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »

It certainly does still bother me a little that there is no way I will be able to power an ONT, router and VoIP for as long as the exchange would remain powered in an emergency.

A small generator.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2022, 07:25:13 PM »

A small generator.

Fuel goes bad and generators need regular oil changes, not something I could really deal with.

I'm considering maybe a camping power bank, could possibly run my entire network off solar that way.  If I weren't in a council house I would have added solar years ago to offset having to run A/C in the summer due to health issues.
Pages: 1 [2]