Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Digital Voice Trial  (Read 9060 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
BT Digital Voice Trial
« on: June 18, 2019, 10:03:32 PM »

As I know how keen we all are on new broadband tech ;) - I thought this might be of interest.

BT are currently seeking individuals to trial their new BT Digital Voice service - their VoIP replacement to the PSTN analogue phone/voice services of today

The trial which will begin in July is to look at the customer’s experience of the new Digital Voice service from beginning to end. From placing an order, through to equipment delivery, set up, and fault reporting.

You will need to be an existing BT Voice or Broadband customer in a fibre enabled area.

If you are interested in taking part, can you please send me a PM by Sunday 30th June with your full name and the email address you would be signing up with.

In return for giving BT feedback, you’ll be provided with new equipment that you get to keep: Digital Voice handsets and a Smart Hub 2

BT will also pay for all your usage and service charges while you are on the trial.

If this is of interest, get in touch!

So what is Digital Voice?

We are digitalising the way you make and receive calls in your home along with providing state of the art handsets.

As your home becomes more connected by technology, BT are bringing all of our technologies together onto one smart network. This is to improve the quality of the services you get from BT.

By upgrading our network to enable your future technologies and to make it easier for you to connect on any device at home or on the go.

Over the coming years BT will roll out a new phone service to all our UK customers. This is called Digital Voice.

This may sound like a small change but it will be one of the biggest technology changes our customers have experienced to date, and we’d like your help to deliver this exciting new product to households across the U.K.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:35:53 PM by gt94sss2 »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: BT Digital Voice Trial
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 01:45:04 PM »

Just to follow up on my post above - the deadline for joining the BT Digital Voice Trial is now the 30th June.

In return for providing feedback on how you find the Digital Voice product, BT will provide:

- new VoIP handsets;
- a BT Smart Hub 2; and
- cover all your usage and service charges while you are on the trial.

The hardware is also all free and you get to keep it at the end of the trial.

If any BT voice/line rental and/or broadband customer is interested in taking part - let me know :)

max360

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:20:59 AM »

Hi there,
I'm currently with BT for internet (Ultrafast 2 via FTTP) and telephone service (via PSTN), If I choose to take part in the trial  of Digital Voice (VoIP) Does my PSTN line get transferred and I would lose the PSTN line?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 12:12:44 PM »

I believe what happens when you're on the trial is that 'turn off' the copper - making the line a SoGEA one - with calls being made over VoIP.

However, I don't work for BT so couldn't tell you exactly how it works with FTTP - the trial hasn't started yet. However, at the end of the trial they reverse any changes.

Digital Voice is the replacement for the PTSN so I know they are keen to test it on all types of line:

- voice only;
- adsl/FTTC/G.fast
- FTTP

IanG

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 03:28:33 PM »

I am currently looking at FTTP, although the technical details remain obscure (to me). As far as I can see, the current Openreach offering is a single optical fibre with no copper, that replaces the existing copper pair. The customer end of the optical fibre plugs into a terminator box (ONT) containing an optical modem, including a SIP interface that connects to a POTS phone socket. So domestic phone calls are via VOIP, or something similar that might reasonably be called Digital Voice. There is a line rental component to the cost, even if no copper.

If I have understood this wrongly, please put me right. For some detail, see https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-developers/guides-and-handbooks/Fibre-Handbook-V8.pdf

max360

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 02:54:21 AM »

I currently have the hybrid cable, which contain one pair of copper and one fibre optic cable. The copper terminates into the master-socket and the fibre optic cable terminates into the ONT.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 01:36:20 PM »

I am currently looking at FTTP, although the technical details remain obscure (to me). As far as I can see, the current Openreach offering is a single optical fibre with no copper, that replaces the existing copper pair. The customer end of the optical fibre plugs into a terminator box (ONT) containing an optical modem, including a SIP interface that connects to a POTS phone socket. So domestic phone calls are via VOIP, or something similar that might reasonably be called Digital Voice. There is a line rental component to the cost, even if no copper.

If I have understood this wrongly, please put me right. For some detail, see https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-developers/guides-and-handbooks/Fibre-Handbook-V8.pdf

That entirely depends what you mean by "looking at FTTP".

There are numerous ways OpenReach deploy FTTP.
New sites are FTTP only.
Existing copper sites upgraded to FTTP usually have the copper drop wire replaced with a dual copper/fibre drop wire.
There are places with separate copper and fibre drop wires from before the dual wires were introduced.

The OpenReach offering is irrelevant.
You will be ordering from an ISP and it's them that choose if they bundle FTTP with a copper phone service, with FVA or as data only.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 01:38:35 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 03:39:45 PM »

Just a reminder that the deadline is today if anyone else is interested in applying for the Digital Voice trial - please do let me know.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »

Am I too late?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »

They advertised they were looking for trialists up to the end of last month but if you PM me your details you might still get in (the trial page still seems to be available)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »

Sorry to drag up an old thread but it looks like this has gone "live" today.

Would be perfect for my parents but they dont use the BT hub, is it possible to use these with other WPS enabled routers does anyone know?

Cheers!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 11:59:15 AM »

Sorry to drag up an old thread but it looks like this has gone "live" today.

Would be perfect for my parents but they dont use the BT hub, is it possible to use these with other WPS enabled routers does anyone know?

Cheers!

What/who says this has gone live today?

BT FTTP sales staff apparently had no knowledge of this a couple days ago.

Are they on an FTTP only new build?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »

It launched today for FTTC>FTTC regrades, call centres only

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2020, 04:59:19 PM »

That's the one :)