Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Evolution of a domestic line!!  (Read 2167 times)

suryanibba

• Just arrived
Evolution of a domestic line!!
« on: June 14, 2019, 12:27:53 AM »

I have lived in my current property in very rural Anglesey for nearly 10 years now, when I first moved here I was able to get ADSL over a near 4 mile length of copper to the exchange and I got about 1Mbps (can't remember the upload but it was tiny), then ADSL2 3.5Mbps down & 0.4Mbps up but always loosing connection longest I got was 7 days. A couple of years ago thanks to the Welsh assembly government a fibre cabinet was installed a mile away so I switched to VDSL using a HG612 I was able to receive, 18Mbps down and 1.2Mbps up and now months of stable connection. Finally I could watch iPlayer, Netflix etc in HD but the upload wasn't great. Then in autumn last year some work was going on in my lane, fibre was being installed at each pole, when it was finished there was a fibre cable on the pole at the bottom of my driveway (30m from my house!!). As soon as FTTP WBC was showing on BT's DSL checker I placed an order (It was on black Friday so hopefully I got a good deal). Openreach had to come and survey the job and yesterday was the install.

Install went as follows; my old copper wire was removed then a new overhead cable was connected to the pole via one of my outbuildings to my house, the cable had a single fibre strand (i think) and also a single copper pair. End on it looked like a figure 8 with one on top of the other. this was then fed through into my loft where the copper was connected to my Openreach master socket and the fibre to my new Huawei HG8110 GPON terminal. From there it connects to my Homehub 5 which is soon to be replaced. I did think it would terminate outside and then be connected from there to the inside of the house as I had seen in various forum threads and youtube videos but this is a much neater setup and not unlike the last.

Now I am getting 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up I could have had 300 and 30 but what I have is fast enough for now.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Evolution of a domestic line!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:44:27 AM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Thank you for documenting your line's evolutionary progress. It makes interesting reading.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 12:47:40 AM »

Welcome to the forum!

Lucky for some, to have full fibre - FTTP. :) Though I would presume that FTTP was the only real way to go for Openreach there, since cabinet-based (FTTC) services could offer no better - if VDSL2 isn't doing much then current amendment of G.fast is going to do absolutely nada.

For myself, the evolution hasn't quite reached FTTP yet. I had ADSLx for years, lucky to break the 8 Mbps sync. speed barrier. 2016 brought FTTC at 200m (80/20 Mbps sync. speed) and 2019 brought G.fast (330/50 Mbps sync. speed).

DSL ain't dead yet, but it's good to see FTTP progress nationwide. At least you know you have the option of more speed if you need it. :) And let's not forget stability.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 06:07:32 PM »

An interesting first post suryanibba
Welcome to the forum.  :)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 09:41:42 PM »

Congrats on your new connection and welcome to the forum :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 01:31:35 AM »

A very warm welcome and croeso i ti - wish I were so lucky but living in Skye where I am it’s 7300m (I think?) to civilisation, so four ultra-long links of copper and ADSL2 is my lot.

IanG

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 09:02:45 PM »

I would welcome you too except, being new here, it would be presumptuous.

Your post sparked me to discover that I am eligible for FTTP, which was not the case a month ago. Having an exchange_only line in an urban area, FTTC was not a possibility.

As far as I can discover, a site survey happens after an FTTP order is placed. Is it possible to place an FTTP order contingent on the survey, perhaps by paying for the survey in advance, with a refund if the order is confirmed? My current drop wire crosses 5 gardens and goes through the foliage of a large tree to the back of the house. I might want to proceed if the result was to replace the drop wire  with a copper/fibre one, but not proceed if they propose to dig up the pavement and garden, and enter at the front of the house.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 09:31:20 PM »

Hi

Is this FTTP on Demand or native FTTP?

FTTP on Demand is where you need to pay for a survey to get the actual build cost, and Openreach install it especially for you and some lucky others that are fed from the distribution point or pole.  The cost for this can range from a few thousand pounds up to £20K or more, and may take 9 months or more before it's finally live for you to use.  The survey cost is non-refundable at £250 + VAT, but you can get a free desktop quote from a company like Cerberus Networks and some others and if it's silly like £20K+ that may be enough for you to decide against paying for a survey for the actual build cost.  Note you will need to sign a 12 month contract for the service which is typically around £100 + VAT, but after the 12 months you are free to shop around and becomes just a normal FTTP line.

Native FTTP means you can it installed fairly quickly and cheaply and can use a variety of suppliers (whereas FTTP on Demand is only available from a few ISPs).

Openreach will usually install the fibre in the same way as your telephone wire, and in your case they would replace the overhead telephone cable with a combined telephone cable + fibre.  There may be issues with doing this if you have a very long overhead run as fibre doesn't "stretch" as fair as telephone cable, so it may need another pole to support it in the middle somewhere, and again you may have delays and complications if Openreach can't put another pole in, for example it's someones garden.

Regards

Phil

IanG

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »

I'm fairly sure it's native, as the Openreach site, after I specified phone number and address, led me to a list of 7 providers, including A&A and Zen. The Zen site separately offered an FTTP service with an activation fee of £55.

There is no non-garden space for an intermediate pole. Unsupported drop length is about 60 metres.

Ian

IanG

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 07:40:32 PM »

Answering my previous question, a nice lady at Zen said that any survey would happen after FTTP was ordered, but that I could cancel the order without charge if I didn't like what was proposed.

A second examination of the pole revealed the magic words attached, and a box that looks as if it contains more than just an optical splitter. Can someone identify it?