Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

Evolution of a domestic line!!

<< < (2/2)

Weaver:
A very warm welcome and croeso i ti - wish I were so lucky but living in Skye where I am it’s 7300m (I think?) to civilisation, so four ultra-long links of copper and ADSL2 is my lot.

IanG:
I would welcome you too except, being new here, it would be presumptuous.

Your post sparked me to discover that I am eligible for FTTP, which was not the case a month ago. Having an exchange_only line in an urban area, FTTC was not a possibility.

As far as I can discover, a site survey happens after an FTTP order is placed. Is it possible to place an FTTP order contingent on the survey, perhaps by paying for the survey in advance, with a refund if the order is confirmed? My current drop wire crosses 5 gardens and goes through the foliage of a large tree to the back of the house. I might want to proceed if the result was to replace the drop wire  with a copper/fibre one, but not proceed if they propose to dig up the pavement and garden, and enter at the front of the house.

PhilipD:
Hi

Is this FTTP on Demand or native FTTP?

FTTP on Demand is where you need to pay for a survey to get the actual build cost, and Openreach install it especially for you and some lucky others that are fed from the distribution point or pole.  The cost for this can range from a few thousand pounds up to £20K or more, and may take 9 months or more before it's finally live for you to use.  The survey cost is non-refundable at £250 + VAT, but you can get a free desktop quote from a company like Cerberus Networks and some others and if it's silly like £20K+ that may be enough for you to decide against paying for a survey for the actual build cost.  Note you will need to sign a 12 month contract for the service which is typically around £100 + VAT, but after the 12 months you are free to shop around and becomes just a normal FTTP line.

Native FTTP means you can it installed fairly quickly and cheaply and can use a variety of suppliers (whereas FTTP on Demand is only available from a few ISPs).

Openreach will usually install the fibre in the same way as your telephone wire, and in your case they would replace the overhead telephone cable with a combined telephone cable + fibre.  There may be issues with doing this if you have a very long overhead run as fibre doesn't "stretch" as fair as telephone cable, so it may need another pole to support it in the middle somewhere, and again you may have delays and complications if Openreach can't put another pole in, for example it's someones garden.

Regards

Phil

IanG:
I'm fairly sure it's native, as the Openreach site, after I specified phone number and address, led me to a list of 7 providers, including A&A and Zen. The Zen site separately offered an FTTP service with an activation fee of £55.

There is no non-garden space for an intermediate pole. Unsupported drop length is about 60 metres.

Ian

IanG:
Answering my previous question, a nice lady at Zen said that any survey would happen after FTTP was ordered, but that I could cancel the order without charge if I didn't like what was proposed.

A second examination of the pole revealed the magic words attached, and a box that looks as if it contains more than just an optical splitter. Can someone identify it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version