Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is B4RN too cheap?  (Read 1693 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Is B4RN too cheap?
« on: June 21, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »

I was searching for rat/animal damage to fibre cable and unexpectedly end up reading an article on B4RNs financial accounts for last year.

It makes some interesting reading, but does beg the question whether B4RN should look at increasing their subscription costs.
It also gives an indication of how setting up a Fibre network in a rural area is no mean feat and could easily be loss making venture.   

B4RN has the enviable & rather unique situation of minimal overheads, no access fees/way-leaves/trenching costs/free labour etc.  They also have the technical expertise of the likes of Barry Forde and also any organisations who have given help for free.

Funding is obtained by share investors and crowd funding and thus not subject to the usual shareholder pressure for business profit.  Any other organisation would likely be in deep doodah by now. 

Well done to B4RN for what they are achieving and all their hard work but it does give a good indication of why it's not a task for the faint hearted, nor something that would easily provide ROI for a normal business. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Is B4RN too cheap?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 11:26:20 PM »

Are they losing money on operations or due to investment in new network build? That's really the key. If they are covering their ongoing costs plus some more to fund building of new network alongside paying debt they're good to go.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »

The report doesnt say - just this

Two years ago B4RN confidentially told me that they would make a profit in 2017 and this would continue in 2018. They were wrong. They continue to expand the business and increase the losses. In financial circles, this is defined as “Over trading” and is the reason many businesses declare Creditors Voluntary Liquidation.

They are continuing to expand although coverage in the North appears to have slowed and they appear to now be concentrating on the Suffolk area.   I'm not sure if that would be covered by a separate set of accounts or not.    It continues to gain investment  (£1,441,749 from share capital last year) so possibly that is investment is from the South?

However if as pointed out, shareholders capital is continuing to be absorbed by losses, then B4RN are in the fortunate situation whereby unlike in the real financial world some of those shareholders may be getting a bit edgy about that and would expect to see at least some headway on ROI. Certainly when it comes to business lending you would expect a company to start showing more of a swing towards profit before you would consider any further increase in lending.   Again because of their unique situation, these particular shareholders are the ones doing the lending and they are far less likely to be demanding returns like in the real business world.    I'm not knocking B4RN, they have done some incredible work, but they are in several very fortunate & unique situations that just would not apply to a normal Telco.       

Also thought that the author makes a valid point that if they have not increased their £25 subscription since 2012, then it would not harm if they increased their charges to similar industry rates.   After all they are able to provide a much faster alternative, so if I were a subscriber I don't think I'd mind too much if my monthly bill increased in order to give them more room to manoeuvre.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »

Perhaps I might comment here that the whole ethos of the Community Interest Company is that it is NOT for profit.
All they must do is cover their operational expenses with any surplus mostly ploughed back into further expansion. However I believe they do keep an annual "Float" so that any shareholders requiring their investment returned have a reasonable amount available for that purpose - BUT still at Directors' discretion. In practice I believe many are so thankful that they have a really good and reliable service that they are content to leave their investment where it is and many don't request their annual interest either; leaving it in additional shares. Some of the share repayments are made as the investors are no longer in any need of earthly matters with estates being wound up.

Another increasingly useful facet of the Community Company is that they are investing in more staff keeping the rural villages thriving and helping local businesses to remain profitable too.

It should also be noted that many inhabitants of the very rural areas remain in rented properties on marginal incomes.
Many such people expect their service to remain at similar ot lower cost to the often quite dire performance levels from the usual telco.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 06:05:03 PM »

Thank you Walter for the additional input :)
-----

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »

If the results here are anything like typical it would explain part of the reason the pricing is feasible - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/06/h1-2019-uk-top-10-fastest-national-broadband-and-mobile-isps.html