Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Once more thinking about setting up a RPi  (Read 16397 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Once more thinking about setting up a RPi
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2019, 01:16:20 PM »

Is the Raspberry Pi 4 likely to be hardware-incompatible ? That is, would a Linux binary meant for the AArch64 and a RPI 3 just boot and run happily in an Rpi4 or would it need to be recompiled and rebuilt (at least) ?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2019, 03:24:36 AM »

After an incredible struggle, I finally managed to get my beloved to come upstairs and plug the pi in for me, putting the buts together and then finding it a suitable home with mains and wired Ethernet straight into the main switch.

After a bit of initial stupidity, couldn’t work out what the default username was, it was "pi" iirc, fired the Pi up, logged in and all was well.

I assigned it a good IPv4 address as usual via DHCP which points to a fixed routable address set by the Firebrick acting as DHCP server according to the Pi’s ethernet MAC address.

Have set usernames and passwords, usual mucking about with ‘screen’ which is mysterious to me but just does something wonderful.

Fired up gdc and built a hello world exe from minimal D source, got some nice AAarch64 (not 32-bit mode) asm source out of it with a gdc -S.

It’s a thing of beauty. Can’t thank vic0239, IanG, Johnson and other contributors enough. I’ve said this before, sincerely meant.

I know vic0239 told me he has kept a backup of the card image for me, but I ought to back the whole system up somehow, before I do too much damage.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 03:36:38 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2019, 05:35:12 AM »

FYI, I have posted a request on the dlang forum for a bit of guidance regarding the error messages coming out of the GDC compile inside the guest o/s, ie within AAARCH64 Debian Buster 64.

I got the error message that our earlier kitizens did, of course, when I tried to run gdc-AArch64 executable inside the ds64-shell - about dmd not having been installed properly. That means something originally went wrong in the make when it was built. (Fyi: DMD is a different compiler which is not installed here and is not supposed to be. DMD is the reference D compiler (https://dlang.org), and some of its sources have been used in the build of GDC, with very extensive wrappers around them and then the GCC middle and back ends.)

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2019, 07:18:03 AM »

Yahoo! Glad (and relieved) you've got it working to your satisfaction, Mrs W has done a good job.

If you have a USB SD card adapter there is an SD Card Copier app in Accessories. The process takes a while, but can be done in real-time.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2019, 07:36:02 AM »

Good tip, thanks. That sound like something accessible in the gui ?

I got VNC going too. It’s a bit horrible trying to drive a mouse pointer in emulation, pushin an arrow around and then picking it up, I don’t think I will be using that method of driving the GUI.

I tried one iPad VNC app which seems to want to locate other machines to talk to by using Bonjour. I did a Bonjour-scan using various existing ipad tools but they did not find the Pi, not surprisingly. So I tried to get avahi/ zeroconf/mdns installed on the Pi, no errors in the host o/s, installation failed when apt-get ran in the guest o/s though with a load of IPv6-address related error messages about various files not being locatable at particular IP addresses.

So I haven’t got bonjour sorted out. I bypassed that by entering a fixed literal IPv4 address into my VNC viewer app, which will work anyway as the address is always fixed; it’s locked in dhcp to a permanent fixed value, by recognising the MAC address.

This systemd-nspawn stuff is indeed incredibly clever.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2019, 07:46:23 AM »

Yes, GUI menu option. The shortcut appears to run 'sudo -A dbus-launch piclone' which you could run from a terminal session.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2019, 08:03:01 AM »

On the iPad there is an iOS Shortcuts thing now which can use SSH to run a command remotely, and I have put a convenience wrapper function round it to allow me to effectively do a remote procedure call with input parameters, it sends code over, and gets results back. I can even drive it from the Siri voice interface because there is a mapping between particular command voice phrases and Shortcuts’ functions to be executed. I’m going to be driving the Pi from the iPad as much as possible.

I am relying on the magic of ‘screen’ all the time, as before, because the stupid iPad keeps dropping the ssh connection all the time and would otherwise log me off and I’d lose everything. The iPad Textastic app is doing file transfer over ssh, so I am all set.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2020, 06:55:13 PM »

Is there a way of updating the Debian buster AArch64 o/s subsystem from within raspbian?    I read an article about just such a possibility but the procedure given perhaps didn’t apply to my system as it didn’t work in the slightest.

I can’t upgrade the GDC package within Debian Buster aarch64 either. I’m stuck with a really old version I suspect.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2020, 03:20:15 PM »

Might this be of interest? Raspberry Pi OS (64 bit) beta
Flashed to a SD card and it has the GCC and GDC front end is available via apt.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything