Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Once more thinking about setting up a RPi  (Read 16261 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: Once more thinking about setting up a RPi
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 07:18:41 AM »

Any compiler experts here? I thought I’d check out GDC was working and cobbled up a little “Hello Word!” test, but it didn’t work.

Code: [Select]
pi@debian-buster-64:~/Documents $ gdc hw.d
cc1d: error: cannot find source code for runtime library file 'object.d'
cc1d: note: dmd might not be correctly installed. Run 'dmd -man' for installation instructions.

(null):0: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
pi@debian-buster-64:~/Documents $

I understand GDC is a front end to GCC which I have installed, but it looks like there may be some other dependencies which are eluding me. Can anyone shine a light on this for me, it’s not my area of expertise. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:23:37 AM by vic0239 »
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2019, 07:29:43 AM »

Edit: Also does anyone know if the initial set up that runs automatically that resizes the partitions and does some config set up do anything specific to the model? E.g setting a certain GPU/CPU memory ratio or copying firmware? Can see that as potential stumbling block if I do the initial boot on a zero and it sets things that dont work with much different 3B+. Guess I should google.
Post installation of the nspawn aarch64 version a basic configuration setup is done, however I had to later expand the SD card storage and tweek the WiFi settings. I also did an update/upgrade on both systems.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2019, 07:35:19 AM »

Regarding the setting up of Weaver's Pi, I am probably best placed having already a working configuration, but as I mentioned previously I am on holiday for a couple of weeks, so an unavoidable delay in this case. Probably need Weaver’s input and also complete inventory of what he needs installed on the card initially.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2019, 06:17:18 PM »

I’ve just ordered a 3B+ complete kit now, from pi Hut. Probably would never be able to find the previous one anyway.

Vic thank you so much. There’s absolutely no hurry at at.

If the compiler spits out an error message then that means that it’s running, so all is good.

It looks like it thinks that the .d file (the d language source) is a .obj file produced by a c compiler or d compiler of some sort. (DLang is C ABI compatible and it can just call any C routine.) you can tell some d compilers to pull in other object files and libraries.

One other thing. Don’t need to be thinking about wireless lans as I won’t be going there. So I’d like testing over wireful Ethernet.

Here is a small-ish simple D source file https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21771.msg378325.html#msg378325
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:24:17 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2019, 06:44:22 PM »

It says that it is looking for ‘dmd’. That is a different D compiler. There are three compilers at the moment :

(i) DMD the reference compiler, always the most up-to-date. Not a great back-end, not focused in optimisation so the output code is not great. I think it’s x86 (and now oh x86-64 too)-only. Offers inline x86 asm.

(ii) GDC part of the GCC collection, which uses the GCC back end and some of the heavily adapted source donated from DMD. Produces stunning quality output as it would, bring just GCC with all the optimal ions and the same back end. Offers GCC-style in-line asm. (For any professor iirc)

(iii) LDC LLVM based compiler. Possibly the best quality output code. Supports inline any-cpu asm but annoyingly the interface to asm’s syntax is or was slightly different to that of GDC. That may have been changed now, can’t remember.

If you get any trouble with gdc, try the ldc compiler instead. LDC sometimes refers to itself as LDC2. (A version number which is going to be stuck there forever I think.)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »

I wonder whether you would prefer the R-Pi to have a static RFC1918 IPv4 address, a publicly routable IPv4 address (from your A&A provided block) or a dynamically assigned IPv4 address?

That could then be configured in advance, before dispatch of the card. Likewise the turning off of the WiFi and lots of other little things . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »

Thank goodness Burakkucat reminded me of this,

Is it easy to get the pi to be a dhcp client ?

Rfc1918 would be a bit of a nuisance for me.
As Burakkucat says either a static IPv4 address (a total pain for you) or a DHCP-client supplied address (ideal for me).

After that, I would like a bit of help making sure it obeys the IPv6 prefix handed out by my router.

Yes, and turning off the WiFi so that it doesn’t cause interference with the existing WAPs - well remembered.

I remembered that at https://dlang.org there’s a hello world type simple .d source file - you can edit D source, build it and run it live in the site, it has an IDE wrapped around ever example program!

Take a look at void main():

Code: [Select]
{
    import std.algorithm, std.conv, std.stdio;

"Starting program".writeln;

// Sort a constant declaration at Compile-Time
    enum a = [ 3, 1, 2, 4, 0 ];
    static immutable b = sort(a);

// Print the result _during_ compilation
    pragma(msg, text("Finished compilation: ", b));
}

Incredible, but not unusual for D, the entire thing is run during compilation !

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »

Is it easy to get the pi to be a dhcp client ?

They are DHCP clients by default, straight out of the box. If you are happy having your FB2700 handing out a static address to the R-Pi then there should be no problem.

After that, I would like a bit of help making sure it obeys the IPv6 prefix handed out by my router.

b*cat is an IPv6 illiterate.  :-[

Yes, and turning off the WiFi so that it doesn’t cause interference with the existing WAPs - well remembered.

Should be quite straightforward (and would be even simpler without the monster that is systemd).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2019, 09:24:37 PM »

I’m not convinced the compiler is 100%, but I’ll do a bit more work on it when I get back. I found some library packages which stopped the object.d error, but the wretched thing only complained about something else which I can’t recall at the moment. It’s quite difficult to find arm64 packages that are not “experimental”.

The current “build” is using DHCP and I spotted a IPv6 address on the interface too.  :)

Just update the thread whenever you think of something to be tweaked.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2019, 04:22:23 AM »

My router hands out IPv4 addresses by DHCP and these addresses never change for known machines because I keep them all fixed by a MAC-to-IPv4 lookup table set up in the Firebrick.

I really don’t want to cause you a great deal of work fixing the the AArch64 build of GDC. But I won’t stop you ! :-) you really are a hero.

* Tip : Iain Buclaw is the man behind GDC. He’s the man to ask.
* Tip : The DLang.org forum is there for our pleasure too. I didn’t intend to recruit a kitizen to get the compilers sorted out. But of course I won’t say no to any help.
* I can use LDC instead of GDC on AArch64 if the one is ahead of the other.
* If AArch64 GDC is going to be a pain for you/me/us, then what I could do is leave this until things AArch64-related just mature a bit and then we could try again. Just to avoid you doing work which will be unnecessary later on when other people have sorted various bugs out. Would you prefer to just put things on hold for a while to save a lot of work?

Getting my own machine up on my own network will be good because it will save me the monthly rental costs of the hosted machine. Also I will be able to start trying out certain little project things that I currently can’t do because I have to be inside the network as an essential part of the job.

The current release builds of GDC and LDC have been completely solid and bug-free for many years now so someone somewhere should be able to sort things out. And given that x86-64 builds Must have been thoroughly tested - I mean who uses i686 IA-32 any more ? I had an x86-64 o/s back in 2006 (vista prof (ultimate) x64).

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2019, 06:14:07 AM »

Fair enough. In reality you are probably better placed than I to sort it out, but it is bugging me.  :'(

I think the system image is probably pretty much ready to go in that case once I make any changes to disable WiFi etc. I’ll PM you my address so you can send me your SD card(s). I’ll keep a copy of the image here too just in case. I use a utility called ApplePi-Baker which makes cloning the SD cards, well, a piece of cake! I’ll send them back to you on my return from holiday if that's ok with you.

A.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 05:51:04 AM »

God that’s a little monster. :-)  I’m very pleased that they have finally got gigabit Ethernet.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 08:29:34 AM »

I'm sure the pi hut and other vendors are very much prepared for returns on all the 3B+ models sold over the weekend at the very least. They have a 7 day return policy.

No one would fault you if you wanted to return and upgrade.  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2019, 09:55:09 PM »

> No one would fault you

Apart from me myself. I wouldn’t feel right about it. :-)

The 3B+ arrived this afternoon.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything