Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Once more thinking about setting up a RPi  (Read 16254 times)

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Once more thinking about setting up a RPi
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 11:45:31 AM »

Thinking about it a bit more, we should be able to "bootstrap" you into a position to tinker with aarch64 etc with 1 properly configured sd card, an RPI 3B+ (or any for that matter, but why not get the fastest?) and a £3 sd card reader (plus several spare sd cards of course).

With the one booting pi that can join your wifi or ethernet network and the reader attached you can flash more images to spare cards easily. Easy to edit the configs to change network settings or try a completely different OS. I suppose any target OS would still need to have ssh and networking set up just from file system access, but magical things can be done with chroot one you get that far down the rabbit hole.

As well as IanG's kind offer I am of course willing to help!

Would swapping micro sd cards in and out of the reader/pi on a bedside table be feasible?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 12:08:50 PM »

>I can certainly send you a working SD card with the standard Raspbian

Wow. That’s incredible,.  ???

So as a sanity test, what we just boot it and ssh-login to it over the lan and that’s it.

[Posts crossed over there because two kindly nurses just arrived in my bedroom.]

You will of course need to let me know how much I owe you for the card?

Or I can get a card delivered to you, but I don’t know which model to buy and screwed things up on a previous attempt of this kind before because, so I was told, I bought the wrong card.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:23:18 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 12:41:27 PM »

> As well as IanG's kind offer I am of course willing to help!

A second wow. Thank you so much my good friend, once more I am in your debt.

Could I ask you and IanG to PM each other and arrange things. (Arm-wrestling :no: )

> Would swapping micro sd cards in and out of the reader/pi on a bedside table be feasible?

I could get my missus to make some room, shifting all the bottles medicine etc. We have mains already for multiple iPads, so yes it would be very much feasible.  ;D

Once the experimentation is done the Pi would go back to its home in the office. (Somewhere near the main switch.)

‘Today is really looking up, thanks to everyone.

IanG

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »

ssh-login to it over the lan and that’s it.

That indeed is about it. Obviously, you need the IP number to log in. The pi by default gets its number allocated by DHCP, normally from the modem/router, and will appear in its list of connected devices. If you are currently unable to see that list, let us know.

The other thing that might be problematic is your ssh client on the iPad, which I don't think you mentioned in this thread.  It would help to know what it is.

Oh, and while I think of it, if the pi is to sit on your bed for a while, a wireless link may be more convenient than an Ethernet cable. The pi 3, unlike earlier versions, has built-in WiFi. The Wi-Fi login username/password can be edited via ssh login on a pi 3 with a wired Ethernet connection, after which the same pi can be used wirelessly.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 12:51:13 PM »

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I installed the image and it appears to do what it says. I have a aarch64 host running as described. See here
I'll post some screenshots once I get VNC installed.

Andy.

Edit - Screenshot added.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:18:21 PM by vic0239 »
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

displaced

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 03:26:56 PM »

If it helps, I’ve used a bunch of ssh clients on my iPhone and iPad - never had any issues connecting to any sshd servers!

Ended up settling on the Prompt app:
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/prompt-2/id917437289

Supoorts PKI auth, which is nice.

(don’t think it’s free, but it’s made by Panic Inc. who are a great Mac/iOS indie developer from the days of yore, so I don’t mind supporting their products)
YouFibre 1Gbit, OPNsense on Intel N100.  Ubiquiti UAPs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 06:36:42 PM »

I use Prompt for interactive login and the file-xfer capabilities of Textastic over SSH.

Vic that is an amazing discovery. Thank you so much. Someone has just done a huge amount of work there. I was simply looking for any AAarch64 *nix that has a shell and which can run gcc (and the rest of the gcc collection). But this is amazing.

I would like all you guys to liaise together if you would.

So these guys have arranged this complex load of trickery so that standard unrecompiled raspbian 32-bit binaries will run.

I don’t know about it but perhaps if one builds a 64-bit o/s and finds there’s not so much stuff to run in it then life is sad. But don’t you then just get the sources snd recompile them then. And find the bugs in porting. Maybe the raspbian shell and apps don’t port, not without getting into a world of bug fixing.

Perhaps someone will enlighten me.

Vic if you have the time could you do me a favour. Could you see if there is an AArch64 build of GCC or even better GDC (the D language - https://dlang.org ) I can do this myself once I get hold of the system I suppose.

Another general question. Is there a GCC cross-compiler for x86-64 target AAarch64 - ie something that can produce AArch64 object files? I just wondered, because it might be massively faster doing huge builds on an x86 box. But I don’t have one anymore so the question is only if academic interest but might help someone else. I suppose I could get a fast x86 box from somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 06:55:07 PM by Weaver »

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 07:58:55 AM »

Vic if you have the time could you do me a favour. Could you see if there is an AArch64 build of GCC or even better GDC (the D language - https://dlang.org ) I can do this myself once I get hold of the system I suppose.
Yes, I've been able to instal GDC in the 64 bit machine in the usual way.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »

:sun:  :blush:   ;D   :congrats:  :drink:  :dance:  :linux:

Vic, that’s fantastic. You’re an absolute star.

Guys, that’s the one. Vic has found my dream o/s build. I really thought I was asking for my dream pony on the moon on a stick. Thanks to all. 

:blush:   ;D   :congrats:  :drink:  :dance:   :linux:   :sun:

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 12:58:08 PM »

Happy to help and continue so if required. However, I am off on holiday at the weekend, so won’t be around for a couple of weeks. 

I was a little concerned initially about this build as I had a few hangs, but booting the SD card on a different Pi seems to be stable. I have been playing with it this morning and it hasn’t crashed. Also the initial WiFi configuration using the wizard failed to connect to my AP. I had to add pairwise=CCMP to the wpa_supplicant.conf file. Other than that it seems fine.

IanG

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 01:00:36 PM »

Congratulations to Vic. I did download the experimental 64-bit Ubuntu Mate, and got it to boot on a pi, but failed to complete an SSH link. Don't ask, as the details are messy and probably embarrassing. :'(

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 02:41:43 PM »

It's enabled on the Raspberry Pi Configuration dialog Interfaces tab from the Preferences Menu.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 03:50:12 PM »

:congrats:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 10:24:56 PM »

Excellent news!

That raspbian-nspawn-64 project is some clever stuff. Had not heard of systemd-nspawn before, kind of like docker meets chroots.

So where are we at with getting cards and hardware to the right place?

Unfortunately I don't have a 64bit pi, only a zero and some first versions, so I wouldn't be able to test the nspawn aarch64 version. But can easily get a couple of 32/16gb cards and load up normal raspbian, set my wireless to the same SSID and keys as Weavers and test to the point of joining the network with ssh enabled. Will be good to have backup cards that work. Also not a problem procuring a card reader if your unsure of which one to get (its hard to go wrong though).

Have you ordered a 3B+ yet Weaver? Do you have a power supply/case (if you want one) etc in mind?

Edit: Also does anyone know if the initial set up that runs automatically that resizes the partitions and does some config set up do anything specific to the model? E.g setting a certain GPU/CPU memory ratio or copying firmware? Can see that as potential stumbling block if I do the initial boot on a zero and it sets things that dont work with much different 3B+. Guess I should google.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:32:26 PM by johnson »

IanG

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 11:40:12 PM »

Yes, it's the old problem of setting up something blind.

I have a pi 3 and spare SD card, which can easily be loaded with standard Raspbian. However, I signally failed to ssh to the pi from the wife's fairly old iPad (which I never use), but did ssh from PuTTY (which I don't use either) from a PC. If the iPad issue is only my ineptitude, I can load and send the card. Please advise. Regarding johnson's late addendum, I can also expand the file system to make available all space on the card.

As regards a case, the official red/white one is quite fetching, and would not look out of place in a boudoir. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything