Computers & Hardware > Other Technologies & Hardware

Once more thinking about setting up a RPi

(1/11) > >>

Weaver:
Revisiting this topic again. :-(

I’m wondering if I might have the energy and concentration required to get a (local, on LAN) Raspberry Pi B+ going. The new model, with faster WLAN NIC and somewhat faster (wired) Ethernet which now approaches a miserable 300Mbps.

I asked about this before, but didn’t get very far. But now I’m thinking once more about finding someone to help me. Being in bed, I can’t get say the ‘Starter Kit’ from Pi Hut going as it requires a monitor and keyboard and obviously I can’t do that stuff. So to recap, what I would need is someone to help get me started by getting an o/s set up so that it will permit login, with say ssh or telnet, over the LAN, immediately from boot, with no keyboard mouse or display.

I would really want a 64-bit o/s an AAarch64 build of some sort, because I want to learn AArch64 asm, not the horrible old 32-bit instruction set. I don’t know if this is possible.

I need to get an SD card for it somehow and the Pi Hut starter kit comes with a card that must work although it is rather disappointingly piddly at 16MB, but I suppose that will have to do.

Ideally if I could find the right dealer they would install an o/s properly for me so it would just work, but I wouldn’t know where to begin. Pi Hut doesn’t seem to have any kind of cuddly customer service, they ship boxes, as far as I can see. Does anyone have any ideas?

Failing that, if I do find some volunteer to help me, I need to ship the machine to them and then get it shipped back.

One further problem occurs to me: what about assigning IP addresses to the Pi?

If I can find a helper what IP addresses will the Pi have on their network, and what will then happen when it is relocated to my LAN? For IPv6, I want the machine to do zeroconfig and just pick up a prefix from the router. For IPv4 I want the machine to either be a DHCP client or set IPv4 addresses for the NICs statically at my choice of fixed, routable (global) IPv4 addresses, which is going to be extremely awkward for my helper unless perhaps they set everything up and then changed it at the last minute. But that seems like way too much trouble, and being a DHCP client for IPv4 has to be the sane choice and also the safe one, less chance of it simply breaking when it arrives here.

Any thoughts?

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: Weaver on June 13, 2019, 03:05:53 AM ---Revisiting this topic again. :-(

<snip

I would really want a 64-bit o/s an AAarch64 build of some sort, because I want to learn AArch64 asm, not the horrible old 32-bit instruction set. I don’t know if this is possible.

--- End quote ---

For aarch64 I would suggest that you consider the The Alternative Architecture SIG (Special Interest Group) of the CentOS Project, in particular that of aarch64 (obviously). I would recommend that you make contact with Jim Perrin, explain your personal circumstances and desire for a 64-bit R-Pi.

displaced:
[edit: I shouldn’t post so late. Totally missed the aarch64 stuff. Please feel free to ignore!]

I set up a Pi Zero W the other day totally headless.

I downloaded a Raspbian image and wrote it to the SD Card. Then, you’ll see a volume named ‘boot’ on the card.

Create an empty file named simply ‘ssh’ in the root of ‘boot’ to enable ssh.

Then, create another file named ‘wpa_supplicant.conf’ in the same location. That’s where you can set your WiFi connection up.

Then, pop the SD card in the Pi and it’ll start up, connect to your WLAN with DHCP and you’ll be able to ssh into it.  Defaults are:

Hostname: raspberrypi
User: pi
Pass: raspberry

Here’s a link to an example wpa_supplicant.conf file and further instructions:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/headless.md

Once ssh’d in, run raspi-config to do the usual first-time setup.

You’ve then got a Debian-style Linux system at your disposal!

Weaver:
Thanks to displaced. That’s right I remember that it’s really simple. Of course I physically cannot do any of it as I can’t sit upright for that long and don’t have a display or keyboard (although those latter points could be remedied, the first can not). And the last time I tried this, with a helpful neighbour who has several pis volunteering, I got the wrong kind of SD card (too large? I don’t remember what). And I have no idea what makes a card qualify so Im think one way is that should really buy a card from a pi dealer as then it would be guaranteed to work. But it’s a shame that say the pi Hut offering is so tichy - rather limits future possibilities.

burakkucat:
If I was going to use a R-Pi for regular, everyday, work I would connect a disk drive, via USB, for all my user files. Just have the OS on the SD card . . . Hence a 4GB SD card would be ample.

Many years ago, when developing certain chunks of code for Bald_Eagle1 to incorporate into HG612_stats, I used a 4GB USB memory stick for all the user files and the log files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version