Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Line 4 has gone very bad

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:
Bad thunderstorms on Saturday, people killed and injured on the mainland. Took all lines down as a precaution when it came near, as I had been watching its approach for several hours. Lightningmaps / Blitzortung app warned me sixty miles away and my hardware lightning detector flashed about far distant strikes, so both did a very good job with plenty if warning. The alarm been on the lightning detector is almost inaudible unless your ear is right next to it which is ridiculous, but I saw its bright blue led flashing for a strike together with other colours, so all was well.

When I took all the lines down by disconnecting modems from the wall sockets the Firebrick instantly switched over to 3G (I don’t have a 4G NIC for some stupid reason). Same IP addresses maintained, TCP connections unbroken so no disruption to transfers in progress! Good job Firebrick people.  ;D

About an hour and a half after that some packet loss was visible in clueless for line 4. Continued all night and all next day with several retrains. Downstream sync rate has dropped from ~2700 to ~800kbps. Upstream rate is unchanged.

Have emailed AA.

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: Weaver on June 10, 2019, 05:02:27 AM ---When I took all the lines down by disconnecting modems from the wall sockets the Firebrick instantly switched over to 3G (I don’t have a 4G NIC for some stupid reason). Same IP addresses maintained, TCP connections unbroken so no disruption to transfers in progress! Good job Firebrick people.  ;D

About an hour and a half after that some packet loss was visible in clueless for line 4. Continued all night and all next day with several retrains. Downstream sync rate has dropped from ~2700 to ~800kbps. Upstream rate is unchanged.

--- End quote ---

My understanding is that you reverted back to the usage of the four metallic circuits, post atmospheric electrical disturbances, within an elapsed time-frame not exceeding 90 minutes.

Either a near-by ground strike has caused detrimental changes to just one circuit or the haggis are still performing acts of revenge, whilst no one is about to witness their attack.

Weaver:
In the end it seems to have been resolved without any corrective action.

There were strikes on the Sléite peninsula fairly close to us, to the south of us, but our line runs northwards to NSBFD.

Whatever it was, by early the early hours of Monday morning the packet loss had gone away, so what it was all about remains a mystery. I put the downstream SNRM up to 12dB when I noticed the problem just to overcome the packet loss. Then later on when things looked ok, I put it back to 6dB then 3dB. Speed is good now.

Weaver:
If line 4 was slightly baked, by induced current, as Burrakucat suggested to me then why only line 4? Given that they all run adjacent to one another. Weird.

burakkucat:
Weird and unexplainable.  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version