Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DMT results  (Read 2318 times)

sicartd

• Just arrived
DMT results
« on: June 21, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »

Hi,

I'm trying to get a handle on whats gone wrong with my line over the last 4 months; connection dropped from ~3M down to 160k-800k. You probably now the score; call to ISP (demon), couple of engineer visits, frustration, hair loss, why is this happening to me...sob sob

Now however, I've got myself a router compatible with DMT tool and am locked, cocked and ready to rock with a jaw dropping amount of information. I'm trying pick my way through what it all means and empower myself ready for the next wave of attack (not easy when you have to start with whats ADSL  :-\ )

But anyway I'll attach my DMT output and if anybody is feeling charitable and could maybe point me in at least a direction I'd be for ever greatful.

Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DMT results
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 03:43:54 PM »

I'm no expert on interpreting DMT graphs, but that's a pretty poor result. You do have a rather long line, but with a fair wind it should be capable of something approaching 3 Mbps as you had before. Something has recently started giving a lot of interference on your line and there are numerous possible causes. I suggest that you read this and the associated pages to make sure that it isn't caused by your own wiring and setup, then I'm afraid that it's back to your ISP for more action.
  Eric

sicartd

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »

Thanks Roseway, I appreciate your comments - my plan is to get back to my ISP and try not too be fobbed off again. If thats at all possible  :(

Dave

Ammit

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »

You have HEC and CFC errors which is not a good thing.  I would definitely go back to your ISP and tell them this.  Do all your equipment checks, try plugging into the test socket and seeing how you go with that then running the tool again and if you still have issues then off to BTw this must go as it could possibly be a fault.  Keep logs of your sync and speed and give them to your ISP so they can throw them at BT.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »

I didnt respond earlier since Eric's said most of it already. 

However, one thing has just occurred..  and that's.. If previously you always sync'd at around 3Mb, then your Fault Threshold rate (FTR) is likely to have been set somewhere around the 1750 mark.

In which case you could (if your ISP was one of those obliging ones that knows how MAXdsl works), ask them to confirm this and chase the fault with BTw due to the fact that you have gone below your FTR.

The graph looks weird and you have quite a few gaps suggesting possible interference from somewhere... theyre "rounded bumps" too.
Router isnt sited near anything radio/electro/magnetic is it?

The CRC/HEC errors are ok.. many routers will rack a few CRC errors up at sync time and they are pretty low.  The 1 errored second suggests it all happened pretty quick.. and 1 errored second is negligible.
Your FEC errors are racking up - but really just showing that interleaving and error correction is working well on your line and doing what its supposed to.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything