Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Switching ISP's  (Read 5190 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Switching ISP's
« on: June 21, 2008, 02:02:52 PM »

This might sound a daft question but when you switch ISP's what happens.I am with Bt using their BT voyager router.If I decide to go with O2(I'm LLU enabled at my exchange) and they send me their O2 router,do I have to disable/uninstall anything,or is it a case of un plug the old router and connect the new one (using the installation disc from O2).Do I do this on my activation date or before.
I am very impressed with the feed back from various forums including this one about O2,the support is Uk and if I'm with O2 mobile (which I'm in the process of joining),its only £7.50 a month for up to 8mb,which IMHO seems pretty good.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Switching ISP's
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »

I've no personal experience of LLU, but I'm sure that all you need to do is swap the router (or reconfigure the present one) on the appointed day. Good luck with the move. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 10:07:21 PM »

I'm with Be* which is practically the same service (they share the same dlsam at the exchange and backhaul etc) as they are part of the same group. 

I dont know if O2 do this, but Be constantly kept me up to date what was happening by texting my mobile with updates such as migration date, when they had shipped the router, and when my connection was live etc.

The router arrived a couple of days before my migration due date.  On migration day, I lost connection at around 08:50 and the process was completed at around 9.05 when my old router attempted to resync...  but obviously wasnt able to connect to the internet.

I simply disconnected the old router, plugged in the Bebox.  There was a CD that came with the router, but I didnt use it at all and configured everything myself.

Theres no point really pluggin the router in beforehand since O2/Be are rather different and dont use PPPoA like other ISPs and instead use routed ETHoA.. so leave everything until you notice your BT connection has gone off.

The only problem Ive had with Be is that some days their DNS Servers are carp (O2 share the same ones), so it may be worthwhile choosing a backup DNS server.
If you have DNS problems then you will find you get "Page cannot be displayed".  We can easily help you add another DNS server once youre live.

O2 wont be able to tell you the exact time of migration since that will be down to an engineer at your exchange physically moving your line over to the Be DSLAM, which can be at any time on the given day.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Quinnbeast

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:32:20 PM »

[hijack]

Should I be looking at something like OpenDNS for a backup DNS service? The more I read on the subject, the more I’m sure that an occasionally wobbly DNS server might be the source of the (very) few connection issues I’ve had.

Every day is a school day in Kitzville!

[/hijack]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:39:16 PM by Quinnbeast »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:56:39 PM »

It certainly wont harm to use OpenDNS as a backup who-ever your ISP is.
I had opendns as a backup with my old ISP for a period of time just in case ..  although with Be I definitely need a backup DNS server.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 06:41:24 AM »

Thanks for all the info Kitz,not sure what all this DNS means though.If you can't connect to the ISP's servers do you just switch to 'open dns' which covers everthing  ???

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 07:35:13 AM »

DNS is the facility which converts web address names (bbc.co.uk) into numbers (212.58.224.131). ISPs have DNS servers which perform this task for their customers, but they aren't always entirely reliable. If you find that you can't contact a site by name, but you can get to it by typing its number, then you have a DNS problem. OpenDNS and some other similar services offer an alternative set of DNS servers which you can use instead of those of your ISP, by entering their numbers into your router config or your PC setup.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »

DNS = Domain Name System.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:16:22 AM »

@ Kitz,you say you didn't use the CD for installation,is there a reason why.Is it because you are confident enough(I know you are)to configure it yourself or is there some other reason.From what I can gather O2 do like Be* and keep you up to date all the way by text messages.
Thanks once again guys for all your feedback  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »

>> you didn't use the CD for installation,is there a reason why.. Is it because you are confident enough

Thats about the gist of it UB. 
I have since had a quick look at the cd... and it actually seems ok and isnt one of those that installs a load of rubbish.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »

Thanks Kitz,I thought that might be the reason.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 08:41:58 AM »

Can anybody tell me what router is supplied by O2,and is it any good.It just says O2 wireless box supplied on their website.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:40:21 AM »

Afaik its either the Speedtouch  TG585v7 or   Speedtouch 780 WL
Most likely the TG585v7

O2 wireless router
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 09:53:25 AM »

Thanks Kitz,erm are these not very well thought of then

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 10:08:31 AM »

oops sorry. Didnt comment on them...  just forgot/missed it - wasnt any other reason.

Speedtouch routers are generally considered very good.
The TG585v7 is relatively new but basically the updated version of the "old" 585 many people are very happy with and will recommend. 

However Thomsom appear to have removed some of the features in the v7 which made it so popular amongst "the techies" (the ability to DMT tweak).

-----
Pages: [1] 2