Computer Software > Windows 10

Win 10 Major Update 1903

(1/5) > >>

tiffy:
Win 10 major update 1903 has been released since 10/05/19 I believe and has had some very disturbing reviews, the update invitation has never appeared on my Win 10 PC's until today so I made the assumption that these issues had now been addressed and it would be safe to go ahead with installation.
Unfortunately have wasted a lot of time today finding that this is not the case.

The update takes a considerable time, first thing noticed on completion is that the startup "splash" screen is completely blurred (appears corrupt) regardless of whatever image is chosen.
The desktop resolution appears very poor again regardless of whatever background or resolution is chosen, nothing appears sharp.
Everything is noticeably slower.

I tried the update on both of my desktop PC's producing exactly the came results, not peculiar to one installation, spec's are:
Homebrew Ryzen 5 CPU on a Gigabyte MoBo, integrated Radeon graphics.
Intel i5 Packard Bell PC with integrated Intel graphics.
Both were updated from their existing revision 1809 build 17763.529.
Both running Win 10, 64 bit, Home edition.
There are most likely other issues but I had seen enough and "rolled back" to the previous rev. which thankfully worked without any problems and took a much shorther time than the update.

I certainly won't be updating to 1903 again any time soon.

A recent update of 1809 has already interfered with my local network drives visibility in Win Explorer, something I had a lot of trouble with when running Win 8.1 but was never an issue since changing to Win 10 until very recently, have spent hours and tried every suggested solution available on this, apparently not uncommon !

Will MS ever get their updates bug free before release ? 

banger:
Updated 2 machines here, very old desktops, the blurred screen sounds like a graphics driver problem. There are a number of known problems which have been fixed with a cumulative update.

Check here to see if the graphics problem is listed, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

You could also use the Windows Feedback app to report your problems to the MS developer team.

jelv:
The blurred splash screen is a feature, not a problem I believe. On the laptop that I updated today, when logged out and totally idle the image is sharp. As soon as I click the mouse or press a key it blurs and I get the login box. If I don't log in, after being idle for around a minute, the login box disappears and it goes back to the normal sharp image. Quite neat I thought.

banger:

--- Quote from: jelv on June 06, 2019, 12:45:36 AM ---The blurred splash screen is a feature, not a problem I believe. On the laptop that I updated today, when logged out and totally idle the image is sharp. As soon as I click the mouse or press a key it blurs and I get the login box. If I don't log in, after being idle for around a minute, the login box disappears and it goes back to the normal sharp image. Quite neat I thought.

--- End quote ---

I thought of the Acryllic feature but the OP also says his desktop appears blurred to which got me thinking an on board graphics driver problem, especially if it is Intel graphics.

tiffy:
@banger:

--- Quote ---You could also use the Windows Feedback app to report your problems to the MS developer team
--- End quote ---
Do you honestly think that would do any good ?

--- Quote ---I thought of the Acryllic feature but the OP also says his desktop appears blurred to which got me thinking an on board graphics driver problem, especially if it is Intel graphics
--- End quote ---
Yes, I know there are reported issues associated with Intel graphics but I have the same situation with my AMD Radeon graphics.

@jelv:

--- Quote ---The blurred splash screen is a feature, not a problem I believe
--- End quote ---
Certainly not to my taste.
I could not achieve a desktop image, colour/graphic combination on either of my VDU's, Dell & Samsung that gave a comparable display to the previous Win version.

The explorer, network drives display issue I had with the previous Win version was certainly not fixed with 1903, this is a very well documented problem which goes back to earlier Win versions and MS have still failed to address, some cynics even believe that it's deliberate to channel users towards their "OneDrive" service as a (paid) network alternative.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version