Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iOS : Multiple ‘update all’ app updates  (Read 4703 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iOS : Multiple ‘update all’ app updates
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:27:28 AM »

In iOS, if you start two iPads simultaneously doing app update downloads in the ‘App Store’ app using ‘update all’, do you ever find that you get error reports for some apps? I have had this several times recently, and I don’t know if this is because the link is overloaded with traffic and some things are timing out

I have not done a traffic capture. If you start ‘update all’, does the system simply fire up n TCP connections, without limit, or is there some kind of queue so that it doesn’t start too many connections simultaneously? Is it really that simplistic?

It seems daft to simply start up a ridiculous unlimited number of TCP connections, because on a very slow link it is bound to hit the retransmission timeout in the end, surely? A limited number of connections and a queue would seem much more sensible.

A decent o/s ought to be able to have some kind of ‘slow TCP’ where it doesn’t try to maximise performance but instead intends to be a good citizen, taking no more than some chosen fraction of the currently available internet access link capacity. One way would be to look at latency changes. I would prefer to do a subnet multicast to advertise what we are doing and ask other systems for permission to do a certain amount of work. (This could be abused as an attack, mind you.)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: iOS : Multiple ‘update all’ app updates
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 09:53:27 AM »

On my slow ADSL2 line I do them one by one to save any problems.  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 12:04:47 AM »

@tickmike have you seen error messages then, if the updates overlap ?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 09:33:35 PM »

@tickmike have you seen error messages then, if the updates overlap ?
I only do one at a time as it would kill my connection, not tried multiple.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 01:49:14 AM »

If I remember correctly, Microsoft boxes can get updates from other machines on the LAN that have cached the update downloads locally, is that correct? Shame Apple can’t be bothered to do this. If I have four iPads to update then I could just download them once.

anything