Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Outage mon ~02:00 UTC  (Read 4298 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Outage mon ~02:00 UTC
« on: June 03, 2019, 03:23:53 AM »

I noticed that kitz.co.uk and forum.kitz.co.uk were down at around 02:00 UTC on Monday morning for around 15 mins. Couldn’t ping forum.kitz.co.uk. Not just ‘for me’ either ie it was the same for traceroutes originating from other starting points.

(And kitz.co.uk and forum.kitz.co.uk are same IPv4 address for me currently)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Outage mon ~02:00 UTC
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »

I didn't do any diagnostics from my end, but did notice it was down at around 2am this morning.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 02:44:28 PM »

Hi

I could wrong but this just sounds like maintenance works

Only kitz would know from the status page of host/email notifications

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 11:47:21 PM »

I would think it is quite likely, from what I remember, that it went down at 02:00 exactly. And so any special-valued numbers like that suggest maintenance.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 10:53:26 PM »

I wasn't aware of any impeding maintenance.   Usually Vidahost would have let me know well in advance.   
Communication isn't the same since they were taken over though :(  The timing does sound like it was..  with me being on a managed package, they are responsible for any of the server software related updates so it's highly likely that's what it was.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 06:03:50 PM »

I have just received an email from TSO to say they recently ran an audit on my server to check which versions of various software were running on it.
As a result of the audit they will be upgrading Apache and PHP.     These upgrades are scheduled for 10PM Wed 12th June.  Estimated downtime is 20 mins to 2hrs.

I therefore guess that it's safe to assume that the downtime last week was whilst they were performing the audit on the server.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 06:14:34 PM »

Hi kitz

I could be wrong sorry but that does not sound right sorry

An audit should not bring systems off line and versions running/installed are listed in respective folders, so at very least, a quick look at folders should reveal versions. Usually a SSH root command would reveal versions of all software (such as php -v etc)

It sounds to me more that they will move you onto a different server (migration) and retire old server (usually an in grade update of apache - full version lite is different I believe) requires a higher version of distro (on centos 6 apache 2.2 not 2.4, 2,4 requires centos 7) so distro from 6 to 7 is not advised). I appreciate your on CPanel which may have upgrade capabilities

Sorry if I am wrong

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 06:32:54 PM »

Hmmm  you are possibly correct.   As I said in an earlier post above, TSO do not tend to keep me in the loop as much as what Vidahost did. :(

I did think it was strange that in the email they also stated "The change will not include a change of IP addresses."   
As mentioned previously I pay for a managed service because I don't have a clue about server maintenance and keeping everything up to date.  As far as I'm concerned that is their job to apply any server software updates and security patches. 
-----

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 06:45:25 PM »

Hi kitz

Sorry I could be wrong sorry

No change of IP address is not unusual as it’s their systems, so could move IP address onto a new server

In any event, as long as it works afterwards is all that matters

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 07:12:22 PM »

Hi Kitz

Sorry just one point which I hope does not affect you

If PHP version is updated from php5.6 to php7.n, then you may have to adjust some php code or updated any plugins on the site if not installed for php7, so they work as expected.

Hopefully kitz is already running php7.n so no changes needed to any code

Sorry it was just a thought that came to me

Many thanks

John