Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: jump in ping times  (Read 3403 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: jump in ping times
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 10:36:43 AM »

Yeah bit of a pain. It's fine if you're where I am, not much difference, but certainly once you're much further south it makes more sense to go to London for most destinations.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 12:04:51 PM »

I have never been on zen, but the manchester issue kind off puts me off.
BT wholesale for me goes north before going south, although not as far as manchester, it adds about 5-8ms latency.
Same issue with the old c&w network, it isnt direct.  Latency if I remember right is a bit higher than BT wholesale.
Never been on TTB network so cannot comment on that from my city.
Since sky have a POP in my city I get under 10ms latency to london on sky.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 04:32:15 PM »

glad im not the only one who feels the same. feel like a bit of a fool moaning about 10ms in the grand scheme of things but it does make a huge difference. i play competitive games at a high level across the whole of Europe, routing to manchester means my ping to UK servers is more than my ping to germany if i am routed via london - and when often playing on nl/de/dk/se servers it makes a big difference.

routed via london pings...
uk = 8ms
nl = 15ms
de = 17ms
dk = 27ms
se = 32ms

and manchester pings

uk = 21ms
nl = 28ms
de = 30ms
dk = 40ms
se = 45ms

basically makes playing se/dk unplayable for me (whilst it is playable it isn't vs players playing on 1-30ms)

i guess even if my isp wanted to help there is little they can do, i dont really know how it works but is it possible for them to route me me to london only?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »

I wouldn't consider it "unplayable" even with enemies on a lower latency, but certainly a nuisance especially where competitive play is concerned. The thing such a hike in latency does for me is make my game streaming (from my PC) experience degrade because the input delay becomes more noticeable.

I don't think they will be able to do much since as you pretty much guessed before, it's load balanced. Probably a few other variables that might be at play here, too. All you can do with them is just ask.

I'd say you might have to look at moving provider if you want a better/consistent latency. I made the mistake of going in blind for Zen when it comes to their network topography. Given Plusnet, TalkTalk, Sky, AAISP (TTB?) and Pulse8 (TTB) have better latencies here than Zen, even with some of those services being provided on ADSLx(!), it's just a downgrade to my experience overall.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 09:12:44 PM »

idnet resell zen ;)
... and BTw and TTB

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 02:38:55 PM »

I don't know if you've got any update for your latency increase, but Zen has resolved mine. I had single-thread speed issues all day, every day, and multi-thread was a bit inconsistent. After I mentioned (for the third time, probably) that I was being routed to Manchester and it was impacting my latency, they have told me I have been permanently routed to London which has reduced the latency to 12ms to London and has actually fixed the speed issues as well.

Interestingly enough, they also told me it was an error that I was being routed to Manchester anyway. Let's hope I don't end up back being routed that way - I do not want to see my latency and speeds impacted again.

Perhaps it might be worth asking if your ISP can change your routing as it may be possible.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2019, 09:11:55 PM »

actually i spoke to the support guys at my isp, as i resell some stuff for them (voip, leased lines etc) they were extremely helpful. They advised rather the constantly redialling PPP to disable it for a minute or 2 so the routing cache doesnt just reconnect me to the same one, which seems to work.

They are also looking at putting a new login realm in place that only routes via london unless it failsover to manchester and moving me to it. thanks for following up.

uk pings now back to 8ms which is great :D
Pages: 1 [2]

anything