Broadband Related > FTTC and FTTP Issues

jump in ping times

(1/5) > >>

spaace:
Hi all,

i noticed today my ping times (first hop) have jumped from 8ms to 18ms, router still says i am on fastpath/no interleaving (usually when interleaving has briefly been applied it is 16ms). It is rock solid 18ms (like it was rock solid 8ms). Can anyone shed any light on why this could be? it was fine last night when i went to bed and the connection has not dropped since then :(

update - neighbours on different ISP's pings are the same as mine was previously and clients on my ISP elsewhere in the country are similar to what they were before, it is like something has been applied to my line

re0:
If you have access to in-depth stats - if you have a Broadcom-based device, stats usually provided over CLI - perhaps you could confirm what the "delay" figure for Bearer 0 is?

If you do not have any access to CLI (or no stats available there), then disconnect the PPP session and reconnect it - see if this changes the latency at all, and make a note of the first hop.

My thoughts are that it sounds like your provider is routing you to another one of their PoPs, which could be further away. A new PPP session may get you connected back to the other. Or it may be that you have some delay on your line from DLM intervention, in the worst case scenairo.

Which ISP is this?

spaace:
where would i find in depth stats? i am using a draytek 2860 router.

the issue is not routing to a different PoP, i have this PoP issue usually with them where a london server is 8ms and a manchester one is around 20ms, i just keep killing the PPP until i get the london server - currently london is around 18ms and manchester 30ms so everything is +10ms.

ISP is a company called voicehost, we use them for voip stuff for work so it is free. been really good up to this point!

by delay on the line do you mean interleaving or is there something else that can be applied that alters ping? my ES etc are very low (very rarely get any at all)

thanks for replying.

roseway:
You said it's the first hop. On its own that generally isn't important. Has the overall ping time to an external site also increased?

spaace:
yes, everything is +10ms than it was previously. If my ping to the first hop has increased wouldn't that mean anything beyond the first hop would increase? (eg if my first hop ping is 20ms i cant get a reply from say bbc.co.uk of anything under 20ms?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version