Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: jump in ping times  (Read 3447 times)

spaace

• Reg Member
jump in ping times
« on: May 31, 2019, 02:14:26 PM »

Hi all,

i noticed today my ping times (first hop) have jumped from 8ms to 18ms, router still says i am on fastpath/no interleaving (usually when interleaving has briefly been applied it is 16ms). It is rock solid 18ms (like it was rock solid 8ms). Can anyone shed any light on why this could be? it was fine last night when i went to bed and the connection has not dropped since then :(

update - neighbours on different ISP's pings are the same as mine was previously and clients on my ISP elsewhere in the country are similar to what they were before, it is like something has been applied to my line
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:49:29 PM by spaace »

re0

• Reg Member
Re: jump in ping times
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »

If you have access to in-depth stats - if you have a Broadcom-based device, stats usually provided over CLI - perhaps you could confirm what the "delay" figure for Bearer 0 is?

If you do not have any access to CLI (or no stats available there), then disconnect the PPP session and reconnect it - see if this changes the latency at all, and make a note of the first hop.

My thoughts are that it sounds like your provider is routing you to another one of their PoPs, which could be further away. A new PPP session may get you connected back to the other. Or it may be that you have some delay on your line from DLM intervention, in the worst case scenairo.

Which ISP is this?
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 04:22:44 PM »

where would i find in depth stats? i am using a draytek 2860 router.

the issue is not routing to a different PoP, i have this PoP issue usually with them where a london server is 8ms and a manchester one is around 20ms, i just keep killing the PPP until i get the london server - currently london is around 18ms and manchester 30ms so everything is +10ms.

ISP is a company called voicehost, we use them for voip stuff for work so it is free. been really good up to this point!

by delay on the line do you mean interleaving or is there something else that can be applied that alters ping? my ES etc are very low (very rarely get any at all)

thanks for replying.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:24:53 PM by spaace »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 04:43:08 PM »

You said it's the first hop. On its own that generally isn't important. Has the overall ping time to an external site also increased?
  Eric

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »

yes, everything is +10ms than it was previously. If my ping to the first hop has increased wouldn't that mean anything beyond the first hop would increase? (eg if my first hop ping is 20ms i cant get a reply from say bbc.co.uk of anything under 20ms?)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 04:54:35 PM »

No, the values shown for intermediate hops show the ping time for each hop, but it's often the case that passthrough times are prioritised over ping times. For intermediate hops, it's the passthrough times which matter.
  Eric

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »

ok thanks. in any case all pings are affected, both first hops and destinations are 10ms more than they were previously. Is there anything that can add ms delay other than interleaving?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 06:22:51 PM »

Hopefully someone else will answer that.
  Eric

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 12:11:20 PM »

If nothing changed on the line then a reroute in between your exchange and where you reach your ISP across a protection path causing higher latency. Kinda going the longer way around a ring to get to the same place.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 01:06:45 PM »

thanks for the reply. weirdly it slowly dropped after midnight back to normal.

Annoyingly i am stuck on a slower auth server which doubles my ping now - dropped the PPP a bunch of times but never get to the faster (london) ones, always manchester. Is there anything i can do to force its hand on where i auth?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »

Ah. Zen are the ISP I guess?

Not aware of anything you can do to select an endpoint yourself.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 04:08:37 PM »

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 06:16:17 PM »

Yes no on Zen although on peeringDB Zen have a similar setup (4x london and 1x Manc). Voicehost have 2x London and 1x manc, guess it is just done on a load balancer so pointless continuously retrying as the manchester one is clearly under a much lesser load currently as i keep getting it!

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 07:06:40 PM »

Zen bothers me too much since they're just routing all my traffic all the way to Manchester. They have the worst latency of virtually any ISP I've had previously because of that. What once was 10ms to London, 15ms to Amsterdam and 25ms to Nuremberg is now 25, 35 and 40 ms respectively. It may seem insignificant, but to me it's like a downgrade. If I had known, I would have gone elsewhere rather than have my traffic routed all the way up the country.

I would presume that it is load balanced, so trying over and over again probably won't yield any different results. In my case, I like how Zen Support told me to just keep getting a new PPP session until I get routed to London :lol:. Yeah, like I can do every time my connection goes down just so I can get good latency - and it's not even guaranteed, plus I've never had it so far. Should have gone with IDNet and forked out an extra £7.80 a month. Hopefully I can find a reason to leave and never return.

Anyway, sorry about that - kind of got sidetracked about my own issue. I don't think there is much that can be done. Additional latency is always a bit of a bummer, especially if you play or stream games, or have other latency-sensitive applications.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 10:18:10 AM »

idnet resell zen ;)
Pages: [1] 2