Announcements > News Articles

Openreach UK Project Targets Speed Boost for G.fast Broadband

<< < (2/3) > >>

Chrysalis:
Interesting the article states reasons of regulation for lack of vdsl vectoring in commercial areas, I believe the only reason would be as it would make it difficult for CPs to rollout their own dslams but given none have chosen to do so the practical restriction is zero.

What other regulatory reasons would there be?

I am unsure whats been proposed tho.

It seems to be either they going to just use the 17-19mhz which is currently unused, I think this risks reducing the highest few tones on VDSL with crosstalk tho.  Probably a loss of 1-2mbit or so sync speed to those affected.  (those affected would likely be already syncing at least at around 55-60 minimum).  This would annoy me slightly for a short time but I would get over it.

Or they considering overlapping from 2.2 upwards, which would probably cause a noticeable impact if its on a crosstalking pair.  To do this when g.fast is so unpopular and is already the higher speed product I think would be a misjudgement, and I hope they dont go down this road.  I see g.fast as a dead end product and I am surprised its even getting any attention at all at this point.

If BT are still concerned about copper performance past 80mbit in VM areas (I guess they not willing to go FTTP in all VM areas) then they would be better spending time on ripping out g.fast, replacing it with 35MHZ vectored VDSL.  As g.fast isnt going to save them many customers.

My area will have gigabit vodafone available in 2020, VM rolling out upgraded speeds also in this area, and right now the local cabinets dont even have g.fast and are all ECI.  Openreach seem to be lacking any kind of foresight here.

niemand:
Vectoring/SLU regulation: see https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/112475/wla-statement-vol-1.pdf

Chrysalis:
Thanks will read it tomorrow, to add also my area has a ton of students, so there is no lazyness/loyalty means to hold onto them, every year is new tenants and a new fight for their custom.  I really dont know what openreach are thinking.

It will be VM 500mbit no phone line required, no long term contract required vs gigabit vodafone vs 80/20 distance/crosstalk dependent copper phone line required.

johnson:

--- Quote from: Chrysalis on July 06, 2019, 08:14:50 PM ---It will be VM 500mbit no phone line required, no long term contract required vs gigabit vodafone vs 80/20 distance/crosstalk dependent copper phone line required.

--- End quote ---

One would hope its changed with general tech savviness being so much higher these days, but there were always horror stories from friends back when I was a student about some enthusiastic housemate "sorting" the internet for everyone, asking their parents and being told BT was the best option. Enjoy the 12 month contract on < 8mbps!  :lol:

gt94sss2:

--- Quote from: Chrysalis on July 06, 2019, 05:35:18 PM ---Interesting the article states reasons of regulation for lack of vdsl vectoring in commercial areas, I believe the only reason would be as it would make it difficult for CPs to rollout their own dslams but given none have chosen to do so the practical restriction is zero.
--- End quote ---

There are some firms which use sub loop unbundling such as Warwicknet and Rutland Telecom (Gigaclear)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version