Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Definition of ‘INP’ figure in stats - sanity check  (Read 1136 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Definition of ‘INP’ figure in stats - sanity check
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:34:19 AM »

I’ll try to define the exact meaning of the figure given as INP in the stats reported in this post and I would be grateful if someone could tell me whether or not I got any of it correct.

“The INP figure is the duration of the longest single noise burst that can be corrected by the error correction system but expressed as a number of symbols, rather than a time in seconds. So n symbols would equate to n / 4312.5 seconds. In that time interval, n symbols, that is n constellations, would be sent (and get corrupted). If the noise burst is of that length or shorter then the error correction will handle the error and deliver that data correct. If the noise burst is any longer than that the error correction will fail.”

So if my understanding is correct, in that post the max burst duration would be 48 / 4312.5 s, that is 11.13 ms.

Question: does this include the effects of L2 retx such as G.INP or is it only talking about the correction powers of the RS layer and interleaving and any lower layers? That is are L2 retransmissions allowed to be counted in as a way of correcting the error by fixing up however many DTUs that are needed to cover the whole burst?