Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL v G.fast for 36 houses  (Read 1854 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
VDSL v G.fast for 36 houses
« on: May 28, 2019, 10:48:09 PM »

Below are 9 houses for vdsl & g.fast estimate speed set by BTw for 36 houses on the same layout on the same street with the same cabinet pcp 8. (The rest of 27 houses will have no g.fast at all)

Seem pretty odd. My house are the worse lower for the G.fast in house number 8 all the other houses are better than mine. Very strange as house number 6 are much better higher on G.fast. (two next doors of mine)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:50:25 PM by adslmax »

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: VDSL v G.fast for 36 houses
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 11:01:46 PM »

You really need a job or hobby.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »

Yes to become an openreach engineer and get all houses for full max 330/50 on g.fast then all problem has solved!  :P

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 10:11:14 AM »

Yes to become an openreach engineer and get all houses for full max 330/50 on g.fast fibre then all problem has solved!  :P

I've corrected your mistake for you  :P
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 02:54:01 PM »

In my case, I have found that estimates for the telephone number are more conservative than with address. I do not know if this is typical with G.fast since I only have made the comparison with my own tel. number and address. Interestingly enough since install, for telephone number the clean range lows and handback have dropped (by ~25 and ~50 Mbps respectively for downstream), but the impacted range lows and handback have improved by quite a bit (by ~40 Mbps for downstream).
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 09:59:06 PM »

I'm absolutely certain that I've explained this 'anomaly' to you before and I gave you a working example in my daughters road.
Estimates tended to vary depending on how close the house was to the pole or Junction Box as opposed to the cab.     

If you think about it all houses will have the same distance of copper to the DP/Pole/JB.  From the pole/JB there are some houses that may only have a few meters of drop wire. Some other houses (which despite being physically nearer the cab) may have a run of quite a large length of OH cable which runs back towards the house.   

You can it it more clearly in houses that have poles and OH cable, but the situation is exactly the same with UG.   Next time you are out and about just look at some of the fairly long lengths of copper which run from the pole and notice how they fan out in all directions - about half of them going back towards the direction of the cab. 

This happens all around the country and its why despite you may think a house is nearer to the cab..  it's length of copper may actually be longer and therefore have a lower estimate for g.fast.    It may not make much difference with FTTC, but it makes more of a difference with g.fast which uses higher frequencies.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker