Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Old computer disposal, public tip  (Read 3504 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Old computer disposal, public tip
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »

Some of these methods seem to be a lot of hassle or take quite some time.

My suggestions were to address the query related to the disposal of SSDs . . .

The more ssd's are becoming a thing, what would be the best way to destroy an ssd?

:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 06:27:34 PM »

Re the microwave oven suggestion... how does one know whether it has worked?      It may well render the drive unresponsive, but just proves that some damage has been inflicted on some components.  Can we be sure that each and every memory chip has been completely destroyed?

To put the above in context, I am comparing the microwave oven and other SSD tactics, with physically shattering a glass platter into many pieces, or grinding aluminium platters, or melting the platters along with individual chips, in Weaver’s stove.

Fascinating debate.   :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »

Re the microwave oven suggestion... how does one know whether it has worked?

A good question.

I have no proposition as to how one my determine if the end objective has been achieved. My suggestions for annihilation were purely the result of seeing all the dire electrostatic warnings that the packaging for such devices carry.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 10:38:48 PM »

FreeCycle is a good way of getting rid of stuff.

Yes it is, but arranging collection is always a pain, and as we both work I do sometimes wonder who I'm telling I'm not going to be in when I say they can't collect at such and such time.

As I am still building my own house I have built into it lots of 'Junk' including about 20 hard drives under floors, electronic components, pcb's, books, mags, and built stuff into Box beams, behind partitions etc.
I also include news papers in odd places so people in the future can find them.
There are going to be some surprised people in the future.  ;D

Yes I did that too when I renovated my first house, various calenders, page 3 of the Sun and I can't remember what else  :lol: I certainly wasn't as extreme as you though. How long have you been building your own house?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 11:03:03 PM »

Drifting off topic, but I’m authorised to do so as I started the thread... 

Re freecycle, I have never used it.   But in collaboration with a few others, clearing a deceased’s home, we have used freecycle’s rival, freegle, to good effect.   My impression is, freegle has a better reputation these days, UK at least.  We had some good successes, with stuff that might have gone to landfill going to genuinely needy people. :)

Main problem seemed to be people who failed to show up at agreed time to collect, which was annoying if I’d made a special trip to meet them.  Or people who showed up to collect (say) a large piece of furniture, then left empty-handed as they’d come alone and it was too heavy to move, and/or too big to fit in the tiny car they’d brought.  :'(

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 11:15:26 PM »

Possibly to stop people coming back, aghast, requesting, "Everyone please stop what you're doing. That laptop I threw away had 5,000 bitcoins on it..."

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 01:34:47 AM »

Secure deletion of SSD, like everything else, is overwriting as much as possible.

I will suggest that people are mindful of how SSDs work: the controller abstracts an awful lot of activities and load leveling makes it tricky to overwrite every cell especially given the overprovisioning of cells.

Run enough iterations of a cell overwrite and you'll get there though recovery is theoretically possible, but running it through a metal shredder then melting the output to ensure any cells that made it through the shredder undamaged are history will definitely work.
Pages: 1 [2]