Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Old computer disposal, public tip  (Read 3469 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Old computer disposal, public tip
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:33:31 PM »

An elderly Aunt asked us to dispose of a quite old laptop computer.   It had not been used for much, but would have contained the odd email, some banking and hmrc tax stuff, assorted usernames and passwords.   I extracted the hard drive, unsrewed the cover to expose the drive’s internals  and with a tap from a nearby brick, shattered the glass platter into many pieces.   I then reassembled neatly and took it to the public tip.

As I prepared to toss it into the ‘small electrical items’ skip, a member of staff intercepted me.   Apparently, they are meant to “destroy” computers, before they are tossed.   He poised himself to give it a good battering with a lump hammer, aimed at the keyboard and screen.  I declined, said it was not necessary, and tossed it anyway.   He seemed surprised but accepted my choice.

Not sure what they hoped to achieve, by battering away at the keyboard and screen.   No matter how hard he battered it,  the HDD would almost certainly have survived.  ???

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Old computer disposal, public tip
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »

Does seem odd, as you say they are unlikely to destroy the hard drive, and are actually making any recycling harder.

I much prefer to recycle, erase the hard drive, or if really concerned remove it and the give the rest away. I have often seen people asking for old computers on free cycle for computer clubs where they teach people how to repair etc. Mind you their motive could be to gain access to the data on unsuspecting peoples drives.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 10:05:56 AM »

The PSU had been lost, so I couldn’t even power it up.  Else, I might have booted up linux and bzero’d the disk.   Or I could have transplanted the disk into another system and bzero’d it there, but that was getting more like hard work.

It was a 12 year old machine, and I had to visit the tip anyway, so I decided to let it go.  Glad I didn’t have to watch it getting smashed up with a big hammer though, that would have made me rather sad.   Ok, I’d just trashed the disk platter with a brick, but I reassembled it neatly so you’d never have known, and it could land in the skip with a little bit of its dignity remaining.   :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 11:46:17 AM »

I have always put hard disks into the stove. If the machine is going to be sold, I put back into it the very same virgin original physical unit that was in it when it arrived, which was removed and packed away when the machine was first delivered, before powering the machine up for the first time with a good empty hard disk of my own.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 01:35:17 PM »

As I was reading the thread I just had a thought  :idea:

The more ssd's are becoming a thing, what would be the best way to destroy an ssd?

I know we could smash it, but would a powerful magnet to the same job to erase data?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 04:10:54 PM »

As I was reading the thread I just had a thought  :idea:

The more ssd's are becoming a thing, what would be the best way to destroy an ssd?

I know we could smash it, but would a powerful magnet to the same job to erase data?

Good point.

I  believe (may be wrong) that flash storage hardware chips often have a hardware erase cycle, that reliably erases all contents.   Trouble is, I don’t know if common OS’s provide a UI to activate it, or what to do if the hardware is already broken and too damaged to erase itself.

Simply overwriting the old data may not actually erase all contents owing to “wear levelling” algorithms used by flash.   My own strategy is to avoid putting sensitive data on USB sticks in the first place, and to enable full disk encryption for SSDs.   

By encrypting it, I can worry less about whether it is fully deleted, as long the the encryption keys are gone.    I have no doubt that powerful nation-state agencies exist, with sinister expertise and tools, that could break the encryption (in my case Apple’s encryption).   But I do doubt whether these agencies would go to the trouble and expense of hacking my data, when there are far more rewarding targets -  unpopular heads of state, criminals, terrorists, etc. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 05:25:08 PM »

I would suggest putting the SSD into a glass bowl, along with a small amount of water, and then giving the contents a "blast" at full power in a microwave oven.

Another alternative would be to dangle the SSD from a securely earthed wire in the arc-over range of a Wimshurst machine or a Van de Graaff generator:angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 10:21:40 AM »

FreeCycle is a good way of getting rid of stuff.

You can wipe any disk with DBAN   https://dban.org/   to military spec.

As I am still building my own house I have built into it lots of 'Junk' including about 20 hard drives under floors, electronic components, pcb's, books, mags, and built stuff into Box beams, behind partitions etc.
I also include news papers in odd places so people in the future can find them.
There are going to be some surprised people in the future.  ;D

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 11:41:46 AM »

to military spec.

I’m not sure all militaries would agree.  I once worked, briefly, on a highly secure project.   The development process was closely audited by the customer so when it came time to replace a disk, we had to courier the old drive off for them to ‘sanitise’ to their satisfaction.   A few weeks later they returned our disk, with the individual platters packaged separately from the disk, having bad the magnetic coating ground off completely. 

I daresay they overwrote the data and degaussed it thoroughly before grinding, but at that time at least (a few decades ago) grinding of platters seemed to be also a necessary final step.   :)

Not sure about dban as I can’t open that link (temporary problem, i suspect) but one problem with attempting to trash a disk just by overwriting it is, any data that is in defective and remapped sectors may not be overwritten, but could still contain data that could be recovered.   With SSDs there is the additional problem of wear levelling algorithms.  Again though, unless you are a seriously wanted criminal, or head of state engaged in international conflict, or a journalist related to such topics, you probably needn’t worry too much.   

CarlIT’s ‘trim’ link seems the way to go for SSDs, but not sure if that would work if the drive was already ‘dead’ and unresponsive to the UI, with the possibility of data remaining in the individual chips within?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 12:10:27 AM »

Some of these methods seem to be a lot of hassle or take quite some time. Melting the drive to a pool of slag within your stove is cheap and easy. Just add drive next time you are sitting down in the evening with all furries toasting in the warmth.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 12:38:36 AM »

Some of these methods seem to be a lot of hassle or take quite some time. Melting the drive to a pool of slag within your stove is cheap and easy. Just add drive next time you are sitting down in the evening with all furries toasting in the warmth.

How does that work..?   Does the burning temperature of the stove fuel exceed the melting point of all of the target materials, chip packages, aluminium containers and platters and (for most 2.5” drives) glass platters?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 12:56:53 AM »

It has been very very effective in my experience. The results are spectacular when the coal / wood is white hot and a controlled amount of air is being drawn through. The output is just a melted unrecognisable lump whenever I have done this. (Not an open fire.) In any case, I would think that pretty easy to hit the curie temperature of iron at ~1100K if the centre of the fire in an air flow is white hot. A nice mix of wood producing charcoal and coal should reach 1300-1400K roughly according to the source I found when I just looked it up. And definitely will melt aluminium, from personal experience. I have used this method many times.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 01:17:41 AM »

Interesting, thanks.   ;)

But closest I have to a stove is a charcoal-burning summer BBQ.  Might add interesting flavours to the sausages and burgers? ::)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 01:25:39 AM »

We have two such stoves. Don’t use the central heating ever as it goes too crazy and I can’t keep the pain under control unless my bedroom is really cold. A big oil-fired Rayburn warms the kitchen and drives the central heating if necessary.
Pages: [1] 2