Chat > Tech Chat

B4SH Update -:- May 2019

(1/4) > >>

burakkucat:
I managed to catch Walter, yesterday evening, just after the wheelbarrow had been parked in its stable, for the night.

Five months on from launch, the B4SH user-base has been steadily increasing, as advertisements and word-of-mouth spread the news. The area serviced is gradually expanding out from the initial launch site, at the Albury Estate, as fast as the volunteers are able to do so.

I understand that the wheelbarrow has now been equipped with an OTDR and words such as "bad splice", "back-scatter" & "insertion loss" have occasionally been heard when the device is used.

Rumour has it that Mrs. W wonders why Walter could not have chosen a cleaner retirement hobby - such as stamp collecting - rather than that which involves muddy trenches, joint chambers and crawling through undergrowth.  :D

Weaver:
The good thing is that up here there is no undergrowth, only heather and the occasional mammal, buzzard, sparrowhawk and of course golden eagles. Deer ate all of Janet’s flowers at the from the other day (presumed by exclusion, as there were no sheep, cows or donkeys).

burakkucat:

--- Quote from: Weaver on May 23, 2019, 01:00:07 AM ---The good thing is that up here there is no undergrowth, only heather . . .

--- End quote ---

You would need volunteers adept in granite drilling and blasting. And that would be seriously messy.  :)

Weaver:
Indeed. Openreach couldn’t be bothered with a lot of that in some places. Mind you, where it’s not rock it is peat and plenty of it. It’s where a friend of ours collects his peats. Most people don’t fancy the backbreaking work much any more.

waltergmw:
Thank you for those nice words BKK !

When talking of terraine there are quite significant differences in parts of the UK. We grunted a bit going down the North Downs Escarpment in hard chalk and flint but now we're through into much kinder greensand which is often bright orange but also has the odd lump of heavier rusty coloured ironstone. Our Lancastrian counterparts can have a more challenging environment with a lot more rain so, as a consequence, theiy must contend with boulder clay etc and far wetter holes. Almost all our chambers are nearly bone dry so thankfully only a little mud in winter.

I hesitate before Kitz's illustrious technicians but perhaps the attached video might amuse a few.
I have still to get the typo removed and it would more accurately be titled as fibre preparation and cleaving rather than the actual fusing operation.

https://www.gigupanddown.net/2019/05/14/bringing-1-gig-service-to-albury-estate/

Perhaps I should also add that younger generations are very much more agile and faster with these operations often because their eye sight is better than mine.

Kind regards,
Walter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version