Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Speculation: VDSL2 to be turned off to gained G.fast speed boost?  (Read 3979 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Speculation: VDSL2 to be turned off to gained G.fast speed boost?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 11:51:29 AM »

Hi

The cynic in me says that they'll find reasons not to provide fibre to properties currently on long copper paths.

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't provide fibre as the long term plan is to retire copper completely, they don't want a mixture to maintain indefinitely, so it's in their interest to update everyone to FTTP, although it might be some time away before everyone has fibre, it is happening.

Regards

Phil

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »

Most of the FTTP overbuild of G.fast is for those who cannot reach >100Mb via G.fast.

If you're far enough away from the pod that you can't hit ultrafast speeds and are in a Fibre First area you might be on Openreach's list.

If you are in a Fibre First area and can hit >100Mb comfortably you're likely not going to be so high on the list. If you're in an area that isn't Fibre First and you can hit >100Mb comfortably you're likely nowhere near the top of the list.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »

I would assume the effect of TDD depends in part on the difference in efficiencies between the two TDD vs non-TDD in respect of how the turn-around time in the former and its effect in the Fourier transform compares with the waste of the frequency band gap.

This problem has already been seen and attacked. With the 4.3125kHz inter-symbol gap.

Being able to vary the TDD duty cycle seems like a really big deal to me though. Before TDD there was continuous waste of time on the unused tones whenever the traffic ratio was exactly suitable.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 12:39:37 PM »

... They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't provide fibre as the long term plan is to retire copper completely, ...

That's why I said "find a way" in particular I think they'll find a way to justify discontinuing copper services without providing fibre as a replacement.   I don't know how many remote properties there are, but as an example our house is on the end of 5300m of copper, around 900m from the DP.  I would love fibre to be provided, but I wouldn't put money on it ever happening.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 01:35:00 PM »

But if your line is all overhead then it will be relativity cheap to do, where our estate is all direct in the ground, so it all needs digging up.

Thanks to PhilipD for the great information.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »

They wouldnt/couldnt turn off adsl to boost vdsl so why would they do this?

Turning off ADSL would gain them so much more so has a far bigger business case.  So no they wont do this.

I think g.fast will just die a short death within 5 years from the first deployment, it will be a failed project.  The takeup figures published are completely of no surprise to me.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 06:09:07 PM »

I think the more likely change would be to the VDSL2 profile someone mentioned on the forum, 35b (?) as it extends VDSL2 range and would give us all better speeds.

Having VDSL2 use higher frequencies, up to 35MHz for profile 35b, is not really going to increase its range. It's not going to happen.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 08:16:54 AM »

But if your line is all overhead ...

All underground unfortunately from that point of view.
Pages: 1 [2]