Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Launch New Website and Broadband Availability Checker  (Read 1471 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/05/openreach-launch-new-website-and-broadband-availability-checker.html

Openreach (BT) has launched a new website this week, which cleans things up quite nicely and also introduces a new availability checker for fibre optic based broadband ISP services on their UK network (FTTC, G.fast and FTTP), which now includes a choice of providers and a pre-registration page for non-FTTP areas.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-home

I think this is good news. I like the better site setup, and at last they are doing something I've long advocated for i.e. using their website to gain knowledge of support for rolling out new technology, in this case FTTP. Then they can use that informtion to guide them to which areas they should focus on installing it to. If there are a group of people in roughly the same area who have all registered their interest then they are more likely to actually sign up for it. Otherwise its pot luck on the amount of people who sign up.

I still say that someone, either OR, ISP's or maybe even the local council, should be putting information leaflets through peoples door. Fibre is the next generation of communication method. It's not really about having fast speeds. It's about having a reliable service that can meet all your needs with the least hassle. No more having debates with people in call centres often in far away places speaking broken english about whether your broadband has a speed fault. Fibre either works or not. Clear cut and dry. Less hassle all round, along with the reliability, and oh yes that fast speed helps make the case too!  :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Openreach Launch New Website and Broadband Availability Checker
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 02:48:33 AM »

registered, thanks.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:28:59 PM »

No more having debates with people in call centres often in far away places speaking broken english about whether your broadband has a speed fault. Fibre either works or not. Clear cut and dry. Less hassle all round, along with the reliability, and oh yes that fast speed helps make the case too!  :)

That just isn't the reality.

Only a small number of support calls to ISP's will be due to slow sync speed which is down to the copper xDSL link.

ISP's will still have congestion.
Customers will still phone up complaining the internet is too slow.

Customers will still have to deal with foreign call centres asking you to run tests and reboot your device. It will just be an ONT instead of a modem.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 02:34:01 PM »

That just isn't the reality.

I thought you were for more FTTP, and putting leaflets through peoples doors explaining its benefits?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »

I'm definitely in favour of OpenReach putting leaflets through doors when better broadband reaches an area.
I'm also hugely in favour of FTTP being the preferred deployment method.

I just don't believe it will be the magic fix that ends speed/throughput issues and the need to talk to script reading monkeys in ISP call centres.

It will help and it would definitely be progress in the right direction.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM