Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another Interleaving question  (Read 1150 times)

RichardB

Another Interleaving question
« on: May 23, 2019, 08:29:22 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I am a relative newbie here with an FTTC DLM / interleaving question.
Looking at the threads here I see I am not the only one puzzled by BTs DLM...
So apologies for yet another post on the subject and the length of the post.

I am connected to a Huawei cab and for the past 5 years my line has synced at >70 Mbps downstream and 20  Mbps upstream.
I am with PlusNet and was on the 40/20 package, which was then changed a few years ado to 55/10.

As a bit of background my line appeared to have a DLM reset a couple of years ago.
This resulted in a Synch rate of high 50's Mbps downstream and 20  Mbps upstream, with low level interleaving.
After a few days G.INP was reapplied on the downstream, which gained an increase in synch speed of approx 10 Mbps.
After a few more days DLM reduced the downstream noise margin in 1 dB steps, to 3dB, gaining approx 3 Mbps per dB.

My synch remained at >70 Mbps downstream and 20  Mbps upstream until mid April this year when PN moved me to a the 55/10 synch speeds.
At this point my line easily synced at 55/10 but downstream interleaving was applied and it stuck. No sign of fast path or G.INP. 

I was then tempted by an offer from PN to switch 80/20 and hoped that my synch speeds would recover to the previous levels.
Approx three weeks my line was switched back to 80/20 and this resulted in a Synch rate of high 50's Mbps downstream and 20  Mbps upstream, with low level interleaving.
Again interleaving has stuck on despite low ES rates on the downstream.

I have attached most recent modem stats.

As the only 19 ES have been recorded in 6 days, I am baffled as to why DLM does not act to apply G.INP etc.

Any insights from the knowledgeable folk here would be appreciated.

Regards
Richard

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Another Interleaving question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:28:02 PM »

Brief version.   
The default DLM profile now has interleave applied by default and in theory G.INP should kick in after a short while...  and also 'x'dB if the line is stable enough

A change of product or ISP move causes a DLM reset back to the default profile - INP 3 and target SNRM of 6.3dB. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 11:52:40 PM »

As kitz said above.

We see occasional cases where DLM doesn't add G.INP to users on Huawei cabinets.
I don't believe this is deliberate.
The default is for all lines to have G.INP.

A DLM reset (or product change or ISP switch) is usually enough to give DLM a nudge.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

RichardB

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »

Hi Kitz and j0hn,

Thank you for the advice.

j0hn, ref the default for lines connected to  Huawei dab to have G.INP.
Is this stated in any Openreach docs I could refer Plusnet to?
PN are advising that they cannot raise a fault with Openreach as the line is withon its predicted range.

Annoying as I know the line can sync much faster  >:(

Thanks
Richard