Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do Plusnet throttle VPN's..?  (Read 1449 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Do Plusnet throttle VPN's..?
« on: May 16, 2019, 03:30:05 PM »

Iam testing various VPN's month by month to see which ones are good so I can choose one to stay with, Ive tried about 7 or so VPN's up to now and all been fine, Iam now on AirVPN and every single server no matter where it is maxes out at 25Mbps (my connection is 67Mbps on LAN day and night - plusnet) - now having read their forums it seems a few others have had this experience and AirVPN staff claim that it is the ISP throttling, Iam finding that hard to believe due to my experiences with other VPN's who could supply 90-95% of my bandwidth on most servers.

does anyone on here know if this is the case? do plusnet throttle VPN's..?

if they do its strange that i only experience it on AirVPN

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Do Plusnet throttle VPN's..?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 08:03:30 PM »

afaik they don't do any shaping or throttling any more.   They ditched the Ellacoyas several years ago.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 08:19:15 PM »

Are you using OpenVPN to connect by any chance? If so, try their L2TP connection method. That said, AirVPN aren't as good as they used to be so it may well be an issue at AirVPN's end.

From my own experience the best VPN providers I have used are Perfect Privacy and vpn.ac, both aren't cheap but far better than more well known ones such as NordVPN for speeds.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:22:38 PM by psychopomp1 »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 11:00:17 PM »

Another suggestion is to use a VPS, from a provider such as DigitalOcean, and setup OpenVPN on that. Plans are cheap and in my opinion you're less likely to encounter the potential congestion or slower speeds at peak times that some VPN providers have. Of course it requires a little Linux knowledge but there are plenty of guides on the internet.