Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Old pole  (Read 1087 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Old pole
« on: May 14, 2019, 11:47:02 PM »

The GPO pole inspecting man came around to see Janet and looked at the pole outside my former upstairs office window. Said the pole was about 50 years old and was starting to get near to the point where there would be rot below ground. He screwed two little markers onto it one of which was a red plate and he told Janet that someone would be replacing it later in the year.

See https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16585.msg306752.html#msg306752

It survived the 2005 hurricane. It is set high on the top of the bank between the house and the road below us to the east. It is the nearest pole to the office window, and from there cables go down diagonally eastwards to a similar pole on the low, far, east side of the road. The road heading  into the village comes down from the north and the bundle of cables is on the east side of the road but my house is high above the road on the west side of the road, so my drop cables first ascend a ‘low’ pole, then upwards from the top of that to the veteran pole in question. Actually if BT had put the drop cables under the bridge where the stream crosses beneath the road then the cables would have gone under the road and would not need to go over it at all to reach me on the west side.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Old pole
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 02:22:48 AM »

I seem to remember Walter (of the Wheelbarrow fame) mentioning that somewhere in the outskirts of Ewhurst, Surrey, there is a pole with a clearly readable 1940s date!

As for your high pole, it would be interesting to see images of the two markers . . . if Mrs Weaver could oblige, please. I'm not aware of any red plate but I do know of a label with a red capital D for dangerous and, thus, not to be climbed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 06:56:48 AM »

I will ask her for a pic. (I may have misheard what she said earlier about the exact appearance of the labels.)

How one earth do the pole people swap them out? And what happens to the cables? Are they going to break my drop cables, I wonder?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:01:06 AM by Weaver »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:52:24 AM »

I've got a combined electricity and telephone pole near my house, and it had to be swapped after a drunk driver smashed into it. It was all done using a cherry picker, without any disturbance to my electricity or telephone/internet connections.
  Eric