Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Badly hit by crosstalk  (Read 17027 times)

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: Badly hit by crosstalk
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2019, 08:12:59 AM »

Hi

If that house get 330/50 then why should mine get it as well as all houses are are the same connected to cabinet 8? See screenshot below

The only way to know is order it and find out.  No one here can possibly answer your question as to why or what speed you will get as we don't have the information.  BT are the holders of more information than any of us, but yes they can have mistakes in that data, again you'll only know for sure when you have a working G.Fast connection.  G.Fast frequencies can fall off a cliff over just a few metres, and we don't know how your telephone line route compares to next door or next door but one.  Another 10 or 15 metres can easily see G.Fast drop from top speed to something less impressive. 

There is likely to be more than one distribution point on your street, so somewhere along it you will get a split, where one house goes to one distribution point, and next door goes to another.  Say that DP is further up the street away from the PCP, then the telephone line travels away from the PCP, joins the distribution point before travelling back to the PCP, easily adding many metres of distance.

It doesn't matter how many posts you make on the subject, or who you email, you will not get any confirmation of being able to get anything more than the Low estimates. 

Either decide not to order G.Fast and let the subject drop, or order it and find out what you can achieve in reality.

Regards

Phil

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2019, 09:24:44 AM »

It's pretty stupid for Zen Internet to limit 10 days cooling off period from the first day of your order not the first day of installation? Because if the engineer switched on G.fast and bingo I got full 330/50 then it will be worth it and Zen will charged me for another order to upgraded from 160/30 to 330/50 if Zen got the proof from my line stats, if was disappointed low at 114/9 then can cancelled it with cooling off period within 10 days of activated.

Is there any other ISP's can do that like cooling off period on day of activation not the day of order?

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2019, 09:37:24 AM »

Hi

You will just have to do a search on ISPs and see what their terms and conditions are.  Think Vodafone do 30 days.

Zen are just doing the legal minimum required, it's not stupid for them. :)

Hopefully the next post from you will be that you've upgraded and post your G.Fast line stats, or we don't hear from you again on this topic :)  No one can make the decision for you.

Regards

Phil

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2019, 09:40:13 AM »

How to access G.fast modem stats like openreach engineer to provided one? Unlocked hack to get these full stats?

But, if Zen think my line will be 114/9 but Openreach are now minimum for G.fast to order is at 120Mbps (use to be 100Mbps) and more likely the order will get rejected by BTw?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2019, 10:09:49 AM »

I doubt any of the ISP supplied kit will provide much, if anything, in the way of stats - you'll need to buy your own for that, and it won't be cheap as G.fast is quite new and not that widely used so the choice is pretty limited.
I'm not aware that anyone has unlocked the MT992 yet, but others may know more about that.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »

How to access G.fast modem stats like openreach engineer to provided one? Unlocked hack to get these full stats?

But, if Zen think my line will be 114/9 but Openreach are now minimum for G.fast to order is at 120Mbps (use to be 100Mbps) and more likely the order will get rejected by BTw?

Stop going around in circles, we don't really know. Yes now the rules have changed, again no one knows how an ISP will interpret those rules when the estimated speed range goes above and below 120.  You had chance to order G.Fast ages ago, you've been talking about it for long enough, so give it enough time and the goal posts will move, that's life.

Try placing an order and find out and tell us.

You will have some idea of sync speed by a simple speed test, no need for hacked modems.

This is completely off topic now.  There is nothing anyone can say that hasn't been said already to you.  Order it, or leave it, your decision.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2019, 10:19:44 AM »

Running speed test will be pointless as it will be capped at 160/30 how would I know if it will go to max data rate like 330/50? I have to be polite ask the engineer to show me the stats rate for G.fast from his kit tool and should be able to tell me what are the max data rate are?

Think I have to bite the bullet and get this order with Zen today!

Line one will be PN FTTC 80/20 (until October then cease on the line)
Line two will be Zen G.fast 160/30

I got very high confident and believe my line will gain around 250/30 or greater not 114/9 from Zen. I have to trust my line can get around 250-300 / 30-40 on the line.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:24:36 AM by adslmax »

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »

Oh dear me, if I want to see G.fast full stats the BT Smart 2 Hub are expensive £200 but it warned there: Please note: The BT Smart Hub will only work with BT broadband (don't think it won't work with other ISP like Zen :( :o https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-smart-hub-2-097683-DYNK.html

Cos the MT992 will be very difficult to get it unlocked. I guess I have to leave G.fast out for now. Stay with FTTC for now and have to accepted to stay with 80/20 for few more years until IF they ever bring FTTP to my area one day. Who know.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »

Yes, BT's routers are all locked to the BT/Plusnet service as they won't allow you to change the PPP credentials (amongst other things).
Even if they weren't they only give you pretty basic stats anyway.
If you need the extra speed of G.fast then you have little option but to live without detailed connection stats at present.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2019, 04:16:52 PM »

Just got email back from Openreach as BTw database will updated soon for two next doors as it was wrong speed estimated at 330/50 as it should be 231/35 not 330/50. And also good news they say my house should be 227/35 not 198/29. Openreach has apology for this incorrect wrong data.

They say the correct data for my property are below:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:19:57 PM by adslmax »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2019, 10:23:26 PM »

Oh this seems a long thread. I’m not sure being pragmatic what can be achieved here. I have 22 down 2 up and there is nothing I can’t stream / download. And that’s all I can get.

In reality the products are cheap, what exactly does a user need in the really world. I challenge anyone to note a few mpbs difference in their connection.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

carringj

• Just arrived
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2019, 11:36:22 PM »

I totally agree. At my previous house I had a 25/5 connection. I used to stream HD content, download large files, teach classes over Webex etc etc. Never had a problem. I now live in a VM area and have a 100/6 connection - its more than enough capacity. What is this obsession to get more speed - if you have 5+ people living with you who are constantly downloading large files or streaming 4K at the same time, then it could be justified.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2019, 11:37:21 PM »

Max, you may have the option of the ZyXEL XMG3927-B50A from A&A which should be priced a smidge under £150. Still expensive but no issues with it thus far. You would have to email them to find out the current price and availability.

Are you going to try your luck with the 160/30 package after all this, or we looking forward to another 9 pages? :P I have confidence the sync rate will be satisfactory enough for the package, but the age old question is: is it worth it?
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2019, 12:21:30 AM »

Not going to order G.fast 160/30 because it not worth the money. Stayed with FTTC.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »

I have finally ordered G.fast 160/30 and see how it goes from there. Not Zen Internet but different ISP. Openreach engineer come to my property to install new line and G.fast 29th July am slot.

I just want to get on with it and can cancel PN FTTC in October when my contract has expired.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

anything