Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Massive Loss Using Broadcom Chipset Rather Than Lantiq  (Read 4063 times)

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
Massive Loss Using Broadcom Chipset Rather Than Lantiq
« on: May 13, 2019, 06:25:59 PM »

So I'm connected to an ECI cabinet Iv'e always had higher speeds and lower pings with Lantiq devices no matter how high end the Broadcom device is. But it is quite shocking that the difference can be so massive simply depending on the chipset/device you use.

Plusnet Hub One
6. Data rate:   15403 / 65269
7. Maximum data rate:   14584 / 64638
8. Noise margin:   5.3 / 5.8
9. Line attenuation:   11.4 / 12.1
10. Signal attenuation:   11.4 / 12.1

BT Smart Hub
6. Data rate: 14.81 Mbps / 59.74 Mbps
7. Maximum data rate: 14807 / 60496
8. Noise margin: 6.1 dB / 6.2 dB
9. Line attenuation: 13 dB

So from the results and doing multiple speeds tests, I have lost 5-6Mbs from the download speed, and 1 Mbs from the upload and my pings are higher. Considering this is meant to be a higher end device, which is why I got it, for the better wireless, the DSL side of things is very disappointing. If they still have people on ECI cabinets then we should still get the latest routers with matching chipsets.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Massive Loss Using Broadcom Chipset Rather Than Lantiq
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »

I have had similar issues on my parents line, they are connected to this cabinet, https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=521871&postcodeloc=11059&cabinet=P4 which is an ECI cabinet, I tried to install a Billion 8800NL R2, but had to settle with a Netgear DM200 in bridge mode with a TP-LINK WDR4300 flashed with OpenWRT.

The G.INP DM200 Firmware makes a huge difference.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »

I'm on a Huawei cabinet and tend to see the opposite - ie Broadcom is generally best for me. But I do know that it is not a universal truth that you get the best results by matching modem and cabinet chip-sets - you just have to try it and see what works best on your particular line.
I've also found quite large differences between different Broadcom based devices - an example being that my Zyxel 8924 syncs about 4MB higher on the downstream than my BT Smart Hub.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 02:59:36 PM »

As with most things xDSL, all lines are different.

If they still have people on ECI cabinets then we should still get the latest routers with matching chipsets.

On my ECI line Broadcom chipsets synced higher and with lower ES numbers than any Lantiq chipset I tried.

There's a lot of members here connected to ECI cabinets who also find Broadcom chipsets performed better than Lantiq.
I've seen others who are connected to Huawei cabinets that prefer Lantiq chipsets.

There is no 1 size fits all.
For me Broadcom chipsets are considerably better on both an ECI and Huawei DSLAM.

In my experience matching the modem/DSLAM chipset is not the best option for most and that the majority on these forums on ECI cabinets find Broadcom modems work best.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »

I am in no way doubting what you are saying - I don’t know what you know. I wanted to share some experience. I have had times where I have seen a large change in results even though no kit at all has actually changed, and realising this means that when comparing different kit I have to be very careful. I reset things several times and take multiple measurements now before changing anything, and then make my change, then multiple measurements afterwards. When I have got multiple results, with numbers that are speeds I take the highest speed, the max not the average, in most circumstances. For other kinds of numbers it’s either the geometric mean or arithmetic mean of the the set of results usually, depending on what I’m dealing with.

The two downstream speeds you quoted need to be adjusted so that they are at the same downstream SNRM, and that would eat up some or all of the speed difference, if I am reading it correctly. Is that downstream SNRM difference 6.2 dB - 5.8 dB = 0.4 dB ? I don’t know how much of that sync rate difference that 0.4 dB would be responsible for. I am also noticing the difference in line attenuation 13 - 12.1 dB - that is very interesting, not sure how to interpret that, but someone who knows what they’re talking about might like to look at the bits-per-bin assignments (tones) to see if there is a possibility of additional insight.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 03:31:43 PM »

On ADSL I've found that different routers report different figures for attenuation so I wouldn't read too much into that aspect. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 10:20:49 PM »

Unfair comparison  I'm afraid. :(
1) Noise margin:   5.3 / 5.8
2) Noise margin: 6.1 dB / 6.2 dB

@Weaver has already pointed out the SNRM differences between the 2 sets of stats.

I took advantage last month to resync my modem when I realised the SNRM had gone up to 6.8dB.   I resyn'd at the default 6.3dB SNRM and immediately gained over 3Mbps connection speed.*

Your 2nd modem will also have initially resync'd at 6.3dB which means increased SNRM of .5dB... which based on reverse theory will at least knock off 3Mbps before you start on any other differences.   

*13/04/2019 - History
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 06:57:46 PM »

The downstream max attainable rate is still about 4Mb higher on the Lantiq, which should take into account the current conditions. Note that the upstream max attainable rate is lower on the Lantiq Hub One.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 01:27:10 AM »

So even though the download speed with the Smart Hub is worse, the VPN performance is a lot better compared to the Hub One, pings have dropped significantly.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:35:12 AM by Geekofbroadband »

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 04:44:23 PM »

Smart Hub firmware updated to SG4B1000E016 overnight and gained over 2Mbs on the upload, almost at 20Mbs now on the maximum data rate.
The GUI version has also been updated.

Firmware version:
SG4B1000E016

Firmware updated:
25-May-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:
0 Days, 3 Hours 3 Minutes 40 Seconds

Data rate:
18.01 Mbps / 59.20 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
19764 / 61217

Noise margin:
6.7 dB / 6.3 dB

Line attenuation:
13.6 dB

Signal attenuation:
0 dB / 13.6 dB
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 01:57:35 AM by Geekofbroadband »

SE

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 06:51:19 AM »

So I'm connected to an ECI cabinet Iv'e always had higher speeds and lower pings with Lantiq devices no matter how high end the Broadcom device is. But it is quite shocking that the difference can be so massive simply depending on the chipset/device you use.

Plusnet Hub One
6. Data rate:   15403 / 65269
7. Maximum data rate:   14584 / 64638
8. Noise margin:   5.3 / 5.8
9. Line attenuation:   11.4 / 12.1
10. Signal attenuation:   11.4 / 12.1

BT Smart Hub
6. Data rate: 14.81 Mbps / 59.74 Mbps
7. Maximum data rate: 14807 / 60496
8. Noise margin: 6.1 dB / 6.2 dB
9. Line attenuation: 13 dB

So from the results and doing multiple speeds tests, I have lost 5-6Mbs from the download speed, and 1 Mbs from the upload and my pings are higher. Considering this is meant to be a higher end device, which is why I got it, for the better wireless, the DSL side of things is very disappointing. If they still have people on ECI cabinets then we should still get the latest routers with matching chipsets.

I've found the same
The best for me on a 400m line eci card are lantiq and mediatek chipsets
While broadcom give the best stats by far, though not on locked down tplink devices
They sync lower, have lower max and the real world speeds are lower when moving files

The fastest down by far has been mediatek at five faster than broadcom (31.5 vs 36.5) but only one higher on the up than broadcom
With lanteq giving the best up at three faster than broadcom, but a little lower on the down

I should be moving cards I'm the cab soon but don't know what make

I'll test again then

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 05:35:34 PM »

I've found the same
The best for me on a 400m line eci card are lantiq and mediatek chipsets
While broadcom give the best stats by far, though not on locked down tplink devices
They sync lower, have lower max and the real world speeds are lower when moving files

The fastest down by far has been mediatek at five faster than broadcom (31.5 vs 36.5) but only one higher on the up than broadcom
With lanteq giving the best up at three faster than broadcom, but a little lower on the down

I should be moving cards I'm the cab soon but don't know what make

I'll test again then

I have the same experience, on a clean ECI line Lantiq is best. (not touched Mediatek as so many reports on here that they suck)

Conversely though if your line has any stability issues, the fact Broadcom is more conservative makes it much more stable.

Until my drop wire was replaced (which I didn't know was faulty) my Plusnet line would drop randomly on the Hub One but not on Broadcom.  Since they replaced it, both lines are really stable on Lantiq hardware.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors