Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recommendation for router with VPN support  (Read 609 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Recommendation for router with VPN support
« on: June 25, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »

Hi all,

Im after a VDSL modem router that has support for using VPN services, I would prefer just having one unit so must be a VDSL Modem combo - preferably one that works with DSL-Stats, however, Im open to suggestions of using two units.

can anyone recommend such a device?
I have a ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A that I could use as the modem if Im gunna use two units.

Also, Do I need a static IP address for this to work?

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 04:29:43 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Recommendation for router with VPN support
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 05:18:39 PM »

I'd be very surprised if you find a solution for this.  Generally speaking the better routers with such functionality, wont have DSL built-in, or will have crap DSL built-in.  This is why the forum mantra is pretty much use a dedicated DSL modem/bridge, then get a good router to go with it.

You already have the modem side covered, just get a good router and put up with having a two-box solution, its the only way to be sure you're getting the best DSL and router functionality.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 09:14:04 PM »

Im open to using two devices as I said, just would have preferred a single unit.

can you recommend any good routers that work bridged and with VPN? I wouldnt mind trying Tomato or other 3rd party firmwares

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 09:32:58 PM »

What's your price range, this is currently £116 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MU50C41?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Synology RT2600ac Wireless Mesh Router

I could find a draytek VPN vdsl router combo if needed, but it will not work with DSL stats.

Regarding the VPN is this a hop on to or a permanent connection?

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 09:51:23 PM »

What's your price range, this is currently £116 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MU50C41?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Synology RT2600ac Wireless Mesh Router

I could find a draytek VPN vdsl router combo if needed, but it will not work with DSL stats.

Regarding the VPN is this a hop on to or a permanent connection?

a combo is preferred but not necessary, the VPN im wanting to run from the router

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 11:44:48 AM »

a combo is preferred but not necessary, the VPN im wanting to run from the router
I'd also suggest you stay away from combo units and you could go for a Wi-Fi router to connect to your Zyxel, e.g. Asus RT-AX68U or RT-AX86U with Merlin onboard !
My setup (and will never go back) is actually modem + x86 router running OPNsense + Wi-Fi - lots of "fun"  :graduate:

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 02:57:19 PM »

I'd also suggest you stay away from combo units and you could go for a Wi-Fi router to connect to your Zyxel, e.g. Asus RT-AX68U or RT-AX86U with Merlin onboard !
My setup (and will never go back) is actually modem + x86 router running OPNsense + Wi-Fi - lots of "fun"  :graduate:

yeah, that's what im looking for, I'm not really too bothered about having to run two devices so let's just go with that.

Im after putting the VPN at the router/modem level so all devices are using the VPN (Nord or Express), I would like to try 3rd party firmware as I've heard you get way more abilities and flexibility.

I'll take a gander at your suggestions thanks

anything