Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Talk Talk ADSL LLU Service  (Read 3897 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Talk Talk ADSL LLU Service
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 05:26:42 PM »

I didn't make a concerted effort but with a quick scan I found the following items --

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BT-master-socket-NTE5a-Back-box-instructions-Tool/143137893615
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Master-socket-NTE5A-Genuinely-BT/273851257562
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BT-Openreach-VDSL-Faceplate-MK3-For-NTE5a-Master-Socket-BNIB/323806997369

Your plan of action reads to be quite sensible, to me.

Hmm . . . Back-wiring. It does occur. It is occasionally done by Openreach technicians. But is generally "frowned upon" because the EU's owned wiring is then contained within the same sheath as Openreach's owned wiring.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »

@ b*cat:

Thanks for the links, need to refine my search skills.
Certainly makes the "run-IT-direct" unit I mentioned earlier look rather expensive.
Your comments on "back-wiring" noted and taken on board.

Will proceed with the temporary, "no POTS" direct modem/router connection as suggested earlier which should give a good indication of what the line is actually capable of on ADSL2+ and whether it's worth putting a lot of effort into re-wiring.
If the neighbour was actually contemplating changing to VDSL2, FTTC service, is available then the house wiring would become a more critical issue I would imagine.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »

Yesterday tried the Billion 8800NL r2 test modem/router (complete with RPi ZW running DSLStats) directly connected to the line with all associated POTS extension wiring disconnected, attached the recorded QLN & HLog snapshots.
To my very much untrained eye, there is not really a big difference from the original QLN & HLog snapshots as posted in reply #8 of this thread taken with all original house wiring still intact, perhaps a better informed forum patron could offer a more educated opinion ?

The DS synch speed attained with the test setup was exactly the same as previous with original house wiring, did try 2 additional re-synch's allowing 30 mins. down time between each.

From the tests carried out, have come to the conclusion that any further effort on my part to tidy up the house wiring and fit a new filtered master socket will not produce any worthwhile improvement in DS synch/data speed, neighbours are reluctant to get TalkTalk involved and think that this would be a waste of time anyway.
There likely first response would be, reading from their script as usual, plug router directly into master socket with SSFP removed which of course they can't do as still have old, unfiltered master socket ! 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 04:25:50 PM »

Unfortunately both "before" and "after" plots have been created with different X-axis scales, so direct superimposition is not possible.

If you compare the two Hlog plots, it can be seen that the latter version is now as to be expected . . . a distinct improvement. The circuit defect has been eradicated.

If you compare the two QLN plots, things are not quite so clear cut. In the latter version the RF ingress can be seen to be diminished but there now is a "roll and hump" in the baseline.  As the "hump" is up at the high frequency end, towards the circuit's performance limit, I am not too concerned.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 05:04:02 PM »

@ b*cat:

Many thanks for your further analysis of the graphs, much appreciated, apologies for the x axis anomaly, your comments noted.

To be honest, my neighbours have very modest data requirements and are nor really concerned, their line performance is likely annoying me more than them at present as I know from personal experience that ADSL2+ service should be a lot better at their location being only yards away and fed from the same UG DP as my premesis.
They currently don't wish to raise an issue with TalkTalk.

Will call it a day on this as there are lots of other activities I really could be attending to and they are happy with their current service.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 05:23:47 PM »

All received and understood.  :drink:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 02:13:22 AM »

I too have all of my B10As direct into the NTE5a with no filter and no POTS gubbins. I just use AA’s straight-through front-plates for the traditional NTE5as and I have one NTE5C with the telephony front on it instead of the SSFP.
Pages: 1 [2]