Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Electric fences (again) - testing  (Read 1623 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Electric fences (again) - testing
« on: June 01, 2019, 05:30:15 AM »

Have talked about electric fences a bit before. See the following:
I have an anti-donkey electric fence. It is some distance from the house, maybe a 100-200 metres away.

The two drop cables are on the opposite side of the house going into the south east corner at upper floor level. They runs roughly ESE or SE from the top of a pole horizontally into Janet’s upstairs den.

The donkey fence runs say north-south and is to the west of the house. I wouldn’t say that the house shields the drop cable, from a viewpoint looking towards the house standing at the southern end of the donkey fence. The fence confines the donkeys to the western half of their patch when they are getting too lively and boisterous. I’ve just learned something while writing this: Janet tells me that the fence is never even turned on these days. The donkeys simply believe in its powers and won’t go near it, so it doesn’t even need to be on to be effective.

One very good thing is that the angle between the fence and the drop cable is probably something like 60 - 80° - anyway absolutely not even remotely parallel. So I’m hoping that that angle and the distance, which I am hopeless at estimating, should mean that I have no worries. Does that sound reasonable?

If I do a donkey fence-on vs off test and look at stats, is there any chance at all that I might see something? And what would I be looking at in particular ? I’m aware of the usual suspects, ES, CRC and FEC. Also I have the PhyR counters to see how hard that is working. But anything in particular that relates to that type of possible interference (if it exists)?

Noddy has neighbouring cows and an electric fence. User aesmith has had fun with electric fences. I’m sure there are other users with experience.

[Moderator edited to fix the numbered list and to correct a typo.]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 02:56:00 PM by burakkucat »

noddy

• Reg Member
Re: Electric fences (again) - testing
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 07:11:23 AM »

I believe it's the fence running parallel for such a distance is what causes my problems , for some reason neighbouring house's lines cut across fields so crossing fences at approx 90 degrees have no real trouble 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 09:24:17 AM »

Absolutely, I couldn’t agree more, running parallel is death. And so I’m in an arrangement about as good as I could hope for.

@noddy how close is your electric fence ?

Folks, is it true that at 100m or 200m separation I should have no worries?

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »

on average I would say about 200-300mm may even be closer at some spots :(

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »

I have disconnected the run along my track and just about all errors ( to with in normally expected for such a long OE line ) drop , but I know the fault on the fence could be somewhere else but not found it yet . I also have a suspicion the fence grounding is not up too spec 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 11:28:34 AM »

Since the field strength falls off as 1/r for an infinite straight wire (iirc) then I should be at least 300 times better off than noddy then, and in fact far better off than that because I am nowhere near parallel.

Would I out in a cos θ too? After all since cos 70° ≈ 0.34 and cos 80° ≈ 0.17 then that makes it much better still if that reasoning is correct.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 11:43:32 AM by Weaver »

anything