Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Throw away society  (Read 2204 times)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Re: Throw away society
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »

Much relieved when better half explained she was watching something called a “Eurovision song contest”, and it was meant to sound just like it did. :D
;D
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 06:34:30 PM »

Well done on the repair, its good to hear of something getting repaired these days.

90v batteries, you wanted want to stick your tongue across them  :o

https://www.classicradioshop.info/valve-and-transistor-radio-batteries/
Thanks for the link, definitely a neater solution worth further investigation.   :thumbs:
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 10:31:19 PM »

...  and now I'm feeling really guilty because yesterday I binned what was a perfectly good modern kettle because the on switch had broken.

I'm sure it would have been very possible to fix as I did look and it appeared a wire had come out of place, but don't have the means of fixing it. 
Immediately got on the PC to order a new one from amazon for next day delivery.  I had guys doing some external work and boiling water in the microwave for 4 cups of coffee every hour or so was becoming a PITA.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 11:45:52 PM »

I’d actually be more wary of trying to fix the kettle vs the Amplifier.   The on/off switch would be operating on mains voltage, so opportunity for arcing if not fixed right.  And proximity of water also might be a worry, should there be anything less than 100% fixed.   I’d probably also have binned the kettle.   :)

I kind of regret not getting a professional repair quote for the amplifier.   The amp cost about £250 six years ago, and could have been renewed for about the same for the latest version with fancy gimics, so I was assuming professional paid repair would not have been tempting.  But since I did not get a quote, I can’t be sure... ???

Diy repair was effected for circa £35 part cost.  And a bit more for sundries like a reel of lead-free solder as I only had leaded, and a fancy little tool for undoing screws around corners, but they’ll go into my toy box and will be used again.    I probably spent about an hour diagnosing and 3 hours fixing.  A pro’ who knew his way around Yamaha amplifiers would have done it a lot quicker but even so, an hour or two’s labour, plus parts....?   
Pages: 1 [2]