Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AA G.Fast ?  (Read 2095 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
AA G.Fast ?
« on: May 08, 2019, 09:58:31 PM »

Is AA doing G.Fast yet?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: AA G.Fast ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 10:08:31 PM »

It looks like A&A have revamped their website.

From the Broadband page I scrolled down to the "ADSL vs VDSL vs G.Fast vs FTTP" section heading and expanded it to see --

The four main types of broadband are ADSL, VDSL, G.Fast and FTTP. The ADSL service uses a modem link all of the way back to the telephone exchange - this will have a lower speed for the modem sync (0-21Mb/s) depending on the line. VDSL uses a modem link only back to the main street cabinet, and so this is normally a much better service with a higher speed (0-80Mb/s) depending on the line. We also offer G.Fast, which is a variant of VDSL but can give higher speeds on short lines (0-160Mb/s). FTTP (Fibre to the premises) is where your property has fibre installed right in to your property, and we offer services with speeds of 80Mb/s or 160Mb/s. Which services are available depends on your location. For an estimate of the speed for your location and which services are available to you, please use the order/quote form.

So the one word answer to your question is "yes". (But not to the Weaving Shed, on the Isle of Skye, unfortunately.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 10:53:03 PM »

They were reluctant to offer FTTP or anything else at 330Mbps or similar high speeds.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 10:57:26 PM »

Is AA doing G.Fast yet?

**Please contact our sales team to order G.Fast as it is not on our order form yet.** stated on their site

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 11:02:02 PM »

I have a feeling they started selling G.fast officially in the last couple of months (it may have coincided with their website revamp). Prior to that, it was sold on a trial basis since June 2018.

They still are reluctant to provide higher speeds. I have enquired, and they really have no plans to offer anything above 160 Mbps downstream for the near future. I understand their reasoning, and it is part of the reason I am switching provider.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:24:02 PM »

Is the idea to push customers towards Ethernet services?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 11:42:14 PM »

I would think not, given the massive price difference for products of equivalent speeds. ??? At the end of the day, AA is just a niche provider. They are focused on unfiltered, uncongested services for the techies with great support and ethics. It just comes at a price - less speed and/or data allowance for a higher cost. They really are in a league of their own, but they can't please everyone. And because of G.fast being here, their services no longer suit me so I have to leave, unfortunately - I cannot expect them to change to fit me, so I just have to find a new ISP that will do that.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 11:54:12 PM »

Prior to that, it was sold on a trial basis since June 2018.

Possibly similar to Zen, who at first were only trialling it on staff and a couple of stable 80/20 lines.  Zen had an article on their blog about volunteers, but for some reason it was removed quite soon after. 
I think it may not help that even though the cabs were enabled, from what I can gather (certainly with my daughter's g.fast connection) is BTw didn't appear to have WBMC cablelinks for g.fast in all exchanges.   This caused a fairly long delay (circa 4mths) waiting for the cablelink to be installed after the order was placed.
Hopefully now BTw are in a better position than they were this time last year.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:24:25 AM »

Is the idea to push customers towards Ethernet services?

RevK put the reason on his blog.

They pay a ton of money to BT for backhaul, to support 330mbit services would require an extra 10s of thousands per month in expense to support the service, as essentially burst speed costs money (which many in the UK wrongfully thought burst speed is free based solely on costs of DSL ports in the exchange).

I think this was put on a ispreview news article as well about why a aaisp 330mbit trialist was not getting the full 330mbit speeds.

So e.g. if you paying BTw £50 per mbit of capacity, you need to add say 300mbit to support the service then thats 300 x 50 = 15000gbp per month to support the service and thats assuming on average two users wont try to burst to full speed at the same time, as aaisp have a policy of no visible contention.

I think with the BT pricing, to get their lowest price you have to pre commit, so an isp pays for the bandwidth "just in case" it gets utilised.  So AAISP would be assuming it may get utilised even if all their 330mbit customers are grannies just checking emails.

I am speculating aaisp dont anticipate high sales, so e.g. if they predicted 5 customers on g.fast their revenue would be 5 x the consumer cost of the product, and their costs would be 5 x the port cost to openreach plus the 15k or so to BTw.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:36:49 AM by Chrysalis »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 12:29:39 AM »

... from what I can gather (certainly with my daughter's g.fast connection) is BTw didn't appear to have WBMC cablelinks for g.fast in all exchanges.   This caused a fairly long delay (circa 4mths) waiting for the cablelink to be installed after the order was placed ...
I do not want to push the topic away from AA too much. But I will say that as soon as my G.fast pod was enabled, WBC was "available". It wasn't the first pod - in fact, it's one of the last few to be enabled. They probably had the capacity sorted many months back, fortunately.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 06:53:13 AM »

I meant there is indeed a reason why ‘ethernet’ costs an absolute ton of money pm.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 08:22:45 PM »

I meant there is indeed a reason why ‘ethernet’ costs an absolute ton of money pm.

Possibly nothing more than the price that Openreach charge for the Ethernet Access Direct (EAD) product from the EU's premises to the local exchange building, plus the rental of a couple of wavelengths in the BT core fibre, plus the cost of Openreach's EAD product from the (other) exchange building to the data centre where A&A have their presence, plus A&A's cost for access to "the Internet". Plus profits on each of those four separate charges. (Not forgetting the Europe inspired monstrosity of VAT, currently @ 20%.)  It all adds up.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything