Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPhone XR  (Read 5653 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iPhone XR
« on: May 08, 2019, 12:52:06 AM »

My beloved has an iPhone 5c which is ancient and currently is using an iPhone SE. The SE is starting to misbehave, battery is giving failure reports in Apple tests and touchid doesn’t work for some reason.

Anyway, EE is offering a free upgrade to an iPhone XR? I know nothing about iPhones - any comments? Is the XR any good in comparison to the other iPhone models?

She wants the smallest device she can get, and wants it to be a phone, not a huge micro-iPad. She wants excellent battery life and good RF performance and otherwise that’s it, very low-end requirements. I desperately need it to be reliable because I get hold of her on the iPhone when I need help with pain meds.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:30:00 AM by Weaver »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: iPhone XR
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 01:12:57 AM »

I am struggling with the same dilemma, what to replace my 5C?    I still like my 5c and it still works perfectly, but  I like to call myself an iOS developer, and it is getting increasingly hard to develop or release for the 5c, being a 32 bit device. :-[

I headed into an Apple store a few weeks ago, thinking I needed an Xr.   Liking smaller devices, and being a cheapskate, and the Xr being cheaper (relative terms) it had to be right for me?   I failed to buy one.   Side by side, the Xs is noticeably smaller.   It is also noticeably nicer, being OLED, rather than LCD.  I decided the Xs is the one I liked best and that, even though quite a lot more expensive than Xr, that it was better value.   

Since I remain overidingly a cheapskate I have not yet bought one, but the Xs does tempt me a lot, even if niether it or Xr will fit in my shirt pocket.     Just my opinion.  And even if you heed my opinion, do your own research to confirm the “facts” I have stated are accurate. ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:25:49 AM »

XS seems like a better camera by miles. Far better display, ultra hi-res. But all of these devices are too large compared to the older phones. Apple’s blurb says the XR has better battery life than the older devices and the XS is thirstier. Water resistance is different, XS supposed to be better than XR.

I don’t know what the deal is with an XS, if she is getting one through EE perhaps they demand extra cash?

The 5c is a bit sickly because the button on the front is now very temperamental. That and the obsolete 32-bit software situation is making it a pain, otherwise it would still be fine.

The face-ID thing seems like a terrible idea, even worse than touch-id, but either are horrible if you are away from home and could get mugged, either by police or by non-official villains.

Can you turn Face ID off?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:30:18 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 01:32:05 AM »

I just noticed that I got the capitalisation wrong in the original title of this thread, I am having to fight the keyboard auto-incorrect concerning this, for some reason; mods might attack this for us?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 08:20:48 AM »

Oops sorry, my capitalisiation was all wrong, don’t know what made me think that was the style. :-[

When I played with both phones in Apple store, the only thing I disliked was the absence of a physical home button.  A tactile button is far superior to a swipe gesture, imho.    I assume it’d get easier with practice, but I found it quite awkard when I tried it.

Agree with security concerns re touch id and face id.  Fairly sure you’d be able to disable it, but then I’d miss the home button all the more, as that’s what I always press to get prompted for my passcode.

Re physical size, I actually persuaded myself that even though I’d have to lose my habit of carrying in shirt pocket, the XS wasn’t all that big a jump from my 5c.   Maybe I was wearing rose tinted spectacles as it is certainly a lot bigger in Apple’s specs.  The XR seemed a step too far, bigger still, but maybe I was just looking for excuses to justify the huge dosh for an XS. :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:23:55 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 09:06:16 AM »

I found a tip somewhere about pressing a button in the side of an iPhone five times rapidly and this is claimed to disable touch-ID (temporarily ? permanently ?) and require passcode entry. Is that passcode required immediately, and just one time? Assuming that works, does it work for face-id too?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 04:24:38 PM »

I just noticed that I got the capitalisation wrong in the original title of this thread, I am having to fight the keyboard auto-incorrect concerning this, for some reason; mods might attack this for us?

I'm puzzled (because I know nothing about types of "iDevices").  ???  Please state exactly what subject line you would like to be given to this thread and it will be adjusted, as appropriate.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 06:45:08 PM »

I'm puzzled (because I know nothing about types of "iDevices").  ???  Please state exactly what subject line you would like to be given to this thread and it will be adjusted, as appropriate.

I think it was my mistake, in using a weird capitalisation in first response,  looking like I was contradicting the title, whereas actually I think the title looks fine to me.

However, I’m not sure your question is perfect either.   There is no such thing, other than in poorly defined slang,  as an “iDevice”.   It is certainly not a term used by Apple to refer to iPhones, iPads etc.  That said, if you search the forums, you’ll probably find that I have sometimes used the same term, and will likely do do again.  :D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 09:22:36 PM »

@burakkucat I thought that I saw a capital H in PHone and so tried to fix it myself where I could, but I couldn’t fix them all, and that confused you for a start, because I should have said that I had already had a go a correcting them. I couldn’t correct all of them of course.

Ah. I have never used an iphone and somehow I didn’t pick up on the emergency call thing.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 09:50:13 PM »

All now neat and tidy.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything