Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL Modem/Routers - Lowered Power Consumption in Modem-Only Mode  (Read 1081 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

If one uses a ZyXEL router configured as a modem only, then you invariably don’t need the wireless NIC as the WLAN is irrelevant. Can actually one turn it off to genuinely lower power consumption?

Is there anything else that could be turned off to reduce power consumption? I’m running on a UPS and I have a lot of modems, so I’m wondering if there are any easy tweaks which would make a difference.

Isn’t there a usb i/f on a B10A? For an SMB server which owns a usb flash drive or usb HD, or for printing to some usb-attached printer. Could that actually be completely powered down somehow? (And really save power even though there’s nothing attached anyway) There’s also a 3G NIC device i/f so it says? Ditto regarding that.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ZyXEL Modem/Routers - Lowered Power Consumption in Modem-Only Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »

I've never made use of it but if you enter the GUI and then > Network Setting > Power Management you will see the page which states --

"If Auto Switch Off function of some service is disable, you can turn on/off the service immediately by changing the setting below. However, if you turn off "All" Lan Ports, you can't connect to this GUI page anymore except reboot the device."

"Manually Switch On/Off:"

-- followed by a sequence of seven on/off selections.

Take the Auto Switch Off tab from that page and you will then see --

"You can decide schedules when to turn off any service below for power saving purpose."

I suspect that the manual is also written in somewhat fractured "English".  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: ZyXEL Modem/Routers - Lowered Power Consumption in Modem-Only Mode
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:29:09 AM »

Brilliant, thank you to Burakkucat! Once again comes to help me.

Does anyone have access to an ammeter and fancy a bit of playing around with one? I would be very interested to know the standard current consumption too.

I have a kindly neighbour who probably has the wherewithal, but he is most likely either on the other side of the planet or else out assisting someone with the fishing.