Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Expected to Ramp Up UK Full Fibre Broadband Rollout  (Read 1829 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/05/openreach-expected-to-ramp-up-uk-full-fibre-broadband-rollout.html

The new CEO of BT Group, Philip Jansen, is reportedly preparing to announce a major ramping up of Openreach’s 1Gbps capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) ultrafast broadband ISP technology next week, which one analyst firm believes could see them target 15 million premises by around 2025 instead of 10 million.

This is an interesting rumour and one that I can see is a good sign.

G.fast seems to be a bit of a mixed bag. But one of the questions I always had about G.fast, especially in his from the cabinet form, is how does it fit in to the eventual removal of copper? They are throwing money away purely for increased speeds for a minority of people for a less than 10 year period, as when fibre builds up momentum, copper will be ripped out and so will G.fast. At least in the original G.fast plan it was part of the expanding fibre network. I'd still push the idea of bringing G.fast to the pole, if its technically possible.

There is no doubt that this shift to full fibre, and especially pushing a 1Gbps capable system is purely down to rival networks. OR have to compete with Cityfibre who are putting fibre in at half the price OR are. So it is good to see OR see the issue and are reacting to it.

What do others think of this news?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Openreach Expected to Ramp Up UK Full Fibre Broadband Rollout
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »

Seems they having to do it due to the competition.

VM doing 500/35 without having to break a sweat, using existing docsis 3.
Cityfibre etc., hitting cities like mine which only have g.fast "planned".

They playing catch up.

On my wifi scanner it is flooded with VM AP's.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »

This is an interesting rumour and one that I can see is a good sign.

Am pretty sure this is not a rumour but BT preparing the market for what they are going to announce at their FY 2018/19 results on 9 May.

If you read the FT article (google "BT chief seeks to make mark with push into fibre" to avoid the paywall) it provides further information.

It will be down to competition, political pressure but also due to the different mindset/approach the new CEO has compared to his predecessor.  As you say, g.fast wasn't a bad solution to extend fibre into the network and boost speeds - until the accountants got hold of it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »

g.fast got doomed the moment the designers of it caved into BT and co by modifying the spec to allow it to be viable from cabinets.

As a enabler of deeper fibre, it was fine, just one step closer to FTTP, but its current form from cabinets is no better than the horrible adsl2+ which in itself was useless to those with longer lines.

I expect every passing year the g.fast plans will get smaller and smaller, and slowly progressively replaced with FTTP or wireless broadband.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 07:12:59 PM »

g.fast got doomed the moment the designers of it caved into BT and co by modifying the spec to allow it to be viable from cabinets.

The spec was modified to start at 20MHZ to co-exist with VDSL2 profile 17a.
I think that would have still needed done even if deployed from nodes deeper in the network.

G.Fast might have had a decent impact from deeper in the network but I think now they'll continue to scale back deployment in favour of FTTP.

Sounds like good news, in the right direction.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 12:59:11 PM »

A question was asked whether BT were overbuilding G.fast at any scale and the answer is that they are.

The Fibre First cities have areas that can order VDSL, G.fast and FTTP.

Some exchanges are G.fast only, some are FTTP-only and others are both.

Check #10 LS6 4JQ for one of these - G.fast clean handback threshold <100Mb, FTTP uplift.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:55 PM »

Openreach have today confirmed that they are

a) increasing their coverage target to 4 million FTTP premises by 31st March 2021 (previously 3 million); and

b) an ambition for 15 million by 2025 (up from 10m) “subject to conditions being right” (as always)

Some coverage at:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/05/openreach-aim-for-15-million-uk-fttp-broadband-premises-by-2025.html
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8399-openreach-shifts-from-third-gear-to-fourth-with-increased-fttp-roll-outs

BT Press release: https://www.btplc.com/news/#/pressreleases/results-for-the-full-year-to-31-march-2019-2871047
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:24:55 PM by gt94sss2 »