Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Got back from hospital a few days ago  (Read 1955 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Got back from hospital a few days ago
« on: May 04, 2019, 02:16:31 PM »

I've been in hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia. It really knocked me off my feet. Had to call 999 as i couldnt breath when I woke up one morning.

When i got to a&e they had to give me oxygen and 2 courses of antibiotics for nearly 2 weeks.

I'm having to re-learn to walk as its zapped all my body strength. Even going to the toilet (with a walking frame) tires me out. Apparently I could be like this for a few more weeks.

Only symptom I had was a cough that wouldnt go away. So if you still have that nagging cough get to the gp and get it checked out and maybe some meds, then it doesnt drop to your chest.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Got back from hospital a few days ago
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 02:41:13 PM »

Very sorry to hear you have been unwell, do hope you are on the mend now, very best wishes.

Yes, pneumonia is very much under estimated and can be a killer in the latter stages of life, absolutely no disrespect, I very much class myself to be "in the latter stages of life" catagory also, sound advice regarding alerting GP at an early stage.

Have missed your frequent news update posts, hopefully to be resumed very soon.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 04:43:45 PM »

Hi Bowdon, sorry to hear you been ill, pneumonia does hit you very hard and takes a long time to get fully over. Luckily not suffered from it myself but have known people that have. Most recent was my retired bosses wife, they were on a world cruise and got as far as San Francisco where she spent some time in hospital prior to being flown home - they were not allowed to rejoin the cruise, from what I understand she also had a lingering cough prior to going on the cruise.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 05:21:42 PM »

Same experience as Ronski I’ve know two people hit by this very underestimated illness, both took absolutely ages to get right, with many relapses. Still they are both 100% now. I hope you have a steady recovery. Seems the key is to take it easy and not try to run before walking......so to speak.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »

Very best wishes and I do hope that at least they are keeping you comfortable while you regain your strength.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 07:33:31 PM »

I've been in hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia. It really knocked me off my feet. Had to call 999 as i couldnt breath when I woke up one morning.

I was wondering where you were . . .   :o

(When a "regular" disappears, I usually notice the absence quite quickly.)

Hopefully there will be no relapse and, following the recommended medical advice, you will make a full recovery.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 09:51:01 AM »

Sorry to hear of your illness! :(
I don't know how available it is around the country, but here in West Hants my surgery offered me and wife a lifetime injection to prevent pneumonia, because of age and medical histories. That was four or so years ago.

It might be worthwhile asking your GP.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 10:23:47 AM »

Yes, I had one of those, three or four years ago. As I recall, it was being offered to everyone over 65 (or thereabouts).
  Eric

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 10:31:06 AM »

Thanks for the good wishes.

I'm taking it easy. Keeping coughing the stuff up and drinking lots of water.

Sadly to my discredit I've always turned away the vaccines, mainly the flu one as it used to give me a mild flu. But needless to say i'll be taking the vaccines when they are offered. Because i'm disabled i'm eligable for it to be free. I'll be taking it asap!

I can understand why people relapse. Even just getting up going to the toilet feels like a work out. Its very easy to tire myself out and it takes a while to get my breath back if i do too much.

I'm glad i'm home though and can catch up on reading the latest internet news and type on the forums  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 11:52:29 AM »

The flu vaccine won't give you flu because it doesn't employ live viruses. What it does with some people is give you some mild flu symptoms. This is a function of how vaccines work, by making your immune system think it's being attacked by a viral infection, which causes it to create antibodies and take other defensive measures. It's these defensive measures which cause the mild symptoms in some people. The real thing is a lot worse.
  Eric

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »

The flu vaccine won't give you flu because it doesn't employ live viruses. What it does with some people is give you some mild flu symptoms. This is a function of how vaccines work, by making your immune system think it's being attacked by a viral infection, which causes it to create antibodies and take other defensive measures. It's these defensive measures which cause the mild symptoms in some people. The real thing is a lot worse.

I'm going to definately take the vaccines when they are next offered. I thought I was a superman but this knocked me down more than anything else in my life. I guess I'm at the moment in life that I realise im not invincible  :(

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 03:47:00 PM »

Sorry to hear what you’ve been through.   

I was hospitalised myself with pneumonia, but as I was only 18 months old, I can’t say I remember anthing about it.    No recurrence for me, and throughout life  the occasion lung test or xrays, for heavy colds etc, have always come back absolutely fine.     

I do often wonder if it might have been a factor in general resperatory problems in following years, such as hay-fever and childhood asthma, that went away in my 20s.    And later in my childhood, when I was trying to learn to play the bagpipes I was no good at it - my instructor decided I did not have enough wind to keep the bag inflated.   I gave up on the bagpipes, but I am never accused of insufficient wind, these days. ::)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 05:10:44 PM »

I’ve never had that, but I was hospitalised in Fort William on the mainland and filled up with iv antibiotics because of a gall bladder infection. Initially they misdiagnosed it as a heart attack, or just were very cautious, and helicoptered me to Inverness. The local doctors were misled because the pain was so bad that they saw heart traces and had to knock me out completely - initially injected me with something at Broadford hospital, on the island, which made me lose consciousness, to escape the pain. Then it was a wonderful free chopper ride over the mountains. The iv antibiotic injections were lovely, very warming pleasant feeling going through my veins, like having a whisky, and then I felt like I was sunbathing, as if bright sunlight was hitting my skin and lay on a towel for half an hour because if the warmth. But then I was never in a bad state like yourself at that time. Had to have major surgery to remove gall bladder later though after the infection had been brought under control.

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 06:33:20 PM »

The iv antibiotic injections were lovely, very warming pleasant feeling going through my veins, like having a whisky, and then I felt like I was sunbathing, as if bright sunlight was hitting my skin and lay on a towel for half an hour because if the warmth.

That's almost exactly how I'd describe pethidine. (I'd have put the word "golden" in there somewhere.) I had it after a gruesome motorbike accident in Stockholm, that laid me up for 6 months. Pethidine is completely horrifying, and an ecstasy.   

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 08:49:59 AM »

Sorry to hear you've been poorly, but glad to see you back again.
Pneumonia can really zap you so take things easy for a while and look after yourself.  :flower:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2