Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Am I stuck on a new lower line speed?  (Read 2118 times)

7cfm

Am I stuck on a new lower line speed?
« on: May 01, 2019, 05:56:01 AM »

I had some router issues a few weeks back which I've now resolved, however as a result of this my line speed dropped about 6 Mbps. I'd assumed that now everything is stable things would automatically sort their selves out and my line speed would gradually return to normal, however after 24 days uptime there's no sign of it changing back to normal. Am I being impatient or am I now stuck at the lower speed?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Am I stuck on a new lower line speed?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 06:13:36 AM »

So can you talk to your ISP about getting your downstream target SNRM put back to 6dB or even 3dB? It’s on ~11 dB downstream now which is not helping at all.

G.Vector would help but there may be no chance.

7cfm

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 06:50:40 AM »

I might be wrong but I thought the bearer 0 downstream rate is what is limiting my speed and the SNR is just measured at that speed rather than there being an SNR target? I’m not sure though so correct me if I’m wrong. Originally the SNR hovered at about 3 so I know the line is capable of this.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 07:04:40 AM »

Well, the downstream speed ends in a 99, so I suppose that it’s possible that your rate has been capped and that is why the SNRM is so high. It’s six and two threes. It’s not a very notable round number though for the speed.

It doesn’t matter which way round it is though, you aren’t happy with it and you want it to go faster, it certainly can go a lot faster downstream, so your ISP needs to change it or else get a good ISP.

Be warned: I know absolutely nothing at all about VDSL2, probably being the only person who has never even seen a VDSL2 system.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 10:00:57 AM »

Who is your ISP?

Success at sorting this may depend on how willing your ISP is to resetting the line and/or running a GEA (?) test.  This test indicates if the line is capped and some ISPs post these results for you to see.

Even without this if you explain a faulty router that is now fixed but your line is stuck at a drastically lower speed but logs indicate it should be running at much better speeds any decent ISP should investigate.

Also may be worth checking if your speed is within the estimates given on the BT checker or not.

7cfm

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 02:39:45 PM »

Oh dear, I was rather hoping that whatever software BT use was intelligent enough to adjust my line as appropriate, the problem I've got is that my ISP is BT :-(

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »

Capped at 22.4Mb.
It can take months (or never) for DLM to automatically remove banding/capping.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 02:55:45 AM »

A&A should be able to get the speed sorted out for you if anyone can, because legend has it that they are pretty good at prodding Openreach or BTW. Their fix your line within one month offer doesn’t apply here though, because it is not totally broken according to the terms of the offer and their terms state that they cannot guarantee to be able to get more speed out of your link. Could do worse than talk to them about it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:20:51 PM by Weaver »

7cfm

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 05:45:21 AM »

Unfortunately I'm still in contract with BT but I'll most likely change when I'm out of contract

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 08:17:48 AM »

I'm not with BT so cant really suggest next steps but can anyone else who has had experience with BT suggest best method of contacting them (eg phone, Twitter, chat, forum etc) and best way to get a DLM reset without having to jump through hoops?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 12:20:23 PM »

That must have been some serious blip to upset DLM like that.   Not only do you appear to be capped but also have G.INP & still at 'Interleave High'.

You could appeal to BTr saying that you had a problem with your router which you have since sorted, but you still appear to be capped by the DLM. 
Ask them if it would be possible to put in a request for Openreach to perform a DLM remote reset.  It can be done if you persevere.
Good luck.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything