Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why do you never see G Fast on AIO and single door cabs?  (Read 1660 times)

enginerd

• Just arrived
Why do you never see G Fast on AIO and single door cabs?
« on: May 09, 2019, 09:48:54 PM »

G fast pods are popping up left right and centre around my parts, I have noticed though that I have never seen a g fast pod on on a AIO cab or a smaller single door PCP cab. Is it not possible to
Use them on these cabs for some reason or another? If so are OR planning on doing something about this when the roll out expands?

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Why do you never see G Fast on AIO and single door cabs?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:32:38 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

I do not have the answer for the AiO, unfortunately. I can also confirm I have never seen an AiO cabinet with a G.fast pod. But I also have never actually seen an AiO cabinet in the flesh, so I actually have no idea what the situation is with bolting on pods - whether that is a copper extension or G.fast pod.

As for the "single door" PCP, no pod can be attached to these. If they wanted to install a G.fast pod, they would need to reshell the single door for a modern steel cabinet. The process is generally not complex and should not disturb any existing connections.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 05:01:46 AM »

I'm not sure what the situation is with AIO cabinets.

You are correct in assuming that they cannot fit a G.Fast pod to a single door PCP.

As re0 points out they need to "reshell" smaller PCP's with the newer double door PCP's which they are actively doing. They've done quite a few PCP reshells for G.Fast on an exchange near me.

Reshelling the PCP usually appears on the roadworks.org website so you might be able to check the local area for any PCP's that may be getting replaced.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 06:20:46 AM »

If so are OR planning on doing something about this when the roll out expands?

I'm pretty sure the g.fast roll out is being scaled back, and they are actually expanding the FTTP roll out.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 12:27:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure the g.fast roll out is being scaled back, and they are actually expanding the FTTP roll out.

Its actually quite interesting in that when BT/OR announced their latest increase in FTTP targets this week, they actually didn't announce a decrease in planned g.fast coverage

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 01:29:12 PM »

>> g fast pod on on a AIO cab

I wonder if the fact AIO's were originally used to bring FTTC to some of the more remote areas.    Historically quite a lot of EO lines were very long.   Possibly it was cheaper for BT back then to lay just one long line of copper to a remote farmhouse or 2 as there weren't enough properties to make a PCP viable.
It's doubtful whether these types of lines would be suitable for g.fast even after installation of an AIO.

Obviously there are exceptions in that some EOL's were very short, those would be good candidates for g.fast...  but also they could turn out to be cheap to install FTTP in the future.

>> smaller single door PCP cab

Not certain, but don't they usually reshell the PCPs before adding g.fast if they are the older type?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 05:15:33 PM »

All 1948-style cast-iron single or double doored cabinets are re-shelled in pressed-steel before any G.Fast pod is attached.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »

Thank you for confirming.
Therefore the chances are it's either not got enough lines for g.fast to be viable or it is viable and will be re-shelled before adding a pod.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker