Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Finally using an openwrt hh5a - questions about line stats  (Read 2224 times)

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
Finally using an openwrt hh5a - questions about line stats
« on: April 27, 2019, 09:22:56 PM »

Hi folks, I'm back again!  :yay:

A few weeks ago I finally switched to an hh5a running openwrt, replacing a dozen or so other devices - i.e. powerlines, usb switches, dsl modem and a router on openwrt.

Since this change everything has been rock solid, no random drops every few days, I think the x6200 hated the line, its broadcom based so I thought it would be a better match to the dslam, guess not!

Anyway, I''m here to ask the experts, should I be worried about these errors (below)?

Code: [Select]
DSL Status
Line State: UP [0x0]
Line Mode: G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Line Uptime: 6d 23h 48m 0s
Annex: B
Profile: 17a
Data Rate: 26.864 Mb/s / 4.383 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): 28.004 Mb/s / 4.358 Mb/s
Latency: 0.13 ms / 0.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN): 26.4 dB / 32.6 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN): 23.0 dB / 32.4 dB
Noise Margin (SNR): 4.1 dB / 5.6 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power(ACTATP): 7.0 dB / 11.5 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS): 0 / 1638
Errored seconds (ES): 369 / 22150
Severely Errored Seconds (SES): 33 / 8
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS): 0 / 0
Unavailable Seconds (UAS): 28 / 28
Header Error Code Errors (HEC): 0 / 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P): 1297 / 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P): 0 / 0
ATU-C System Vendor ID: Broadcom 164.140
Power Management Mode: L0 - Synchronized

Note: I tweaked some settings some days ago (hence the uptime). I set the "Downstream SNR offset to -2.5dB when configuring DSL.

Any comments / advice most welcome

TIA!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:50:34 PM by mpmc »
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Finally using an openwrt hh5a - questions about line stats
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 11:37:01 PM »

I'd just beware that its not the greatest performing device.  Its probably fine for the speed you are getting, but would easily get maxed out if you use it for WiFi and try to do any file transfers to another computer.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 12:53:08 AM »

I'd just beware that its not the greatest performing device.  Its probably fine for the speed you are getting, but would easily get maxed out if you use it for WiFi and try to do any file transfers to another computer.

Agree. I cant speak to the modem stats as I was running my HH5A just as a router, but with a similar line to OP (25/1) with SQM enabled I saw 80-90% CPU use under load.

This is probably not an issue you will notice if you only have a couple of clients using data at once, but a heavy wifi user and a gamer might get angry with each other.

Its a neat device though running OpenWRT, you have full "cake" SQM which is a marvel of technology in my opinion, it's wifi is good and it uses like 5W. I have it as back up device ready to go on a shelf.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »

openwrt with the LEDE merge, has transformed the project in my opinion, archer C7's selling like hotcakes ;)

Interesting it works on BT kit.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:40:27 PM by Chrysalis »

mpmc

• There is a fault... with my brain.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »

Agree. I cant speak to the modem stats as I was running my HH5A just as a router, but with a similar line to OP (25/1) with SQM enabled I saw 80-90% CPU use under load.

This is probably not an issue you will notice if you only have a couple of clients using data at once, but a heavy wifi user and a gamer might get angry with each other.

Its a neat device though running OpenWRT, you have full "cake" SQM which is a marvel of technology in my opinion, it's wifi is good and it uses like 5W. I have it as back up device ready to go on a shelf.

I have stubby, adblock and SQM cake enabled and a few devices on wifi, no issues here. The only time I see the CPU rise - in top - is when doing domain resolution, and most of that is dnsmasq. Will have to do a few more tests, and report back !
VM + BT via rotting aluminium/copper blend, hmm tasty!