Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Opinions of plusnet?  (Read 3003 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Opinions of plusnet?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 01:29:34 PM »

When I was with plusnet, it was a thing to have to hop gateways to avoid congestion, but as I understand since plusnet moved to dedicated WBMC the issue of congested MSIL's is gone, but I dont know if there is any congestion on their dedicated WBMC.  Need existing plusnet customers to tell you that.

Also I think is no working IPv6 on plusnet.

Otherwise the only other concern is their billing platform.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »

Zen was the other option I was considering. Maybe they would be a better bet?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 02:49:36 PM »

When I was with plusnet, it was a thing to have to hop gateways to avoid congestion, but as I understand since plusnet moved to dedicated WBMC the issue of congested MSIL's is gone, but I dont know if there is any congestion on their dedicated WBMC.  Need existing plusnet customers to tell you that.

Also I think is no working IPv6 on plusnet.

Otherwise the only other concern is their billing platform.

I might still be stuck with that problem as I read something about static IP customers being allocated differently on the network.

I went for Zen because being a smaller ISP, they aren't forced to apply blocklists like the main ISPs BT, Plusnet, Talk Talk, Virgin, etc.  From past experience, ISPs with blocklists will on occasion cock up and block an entire domain just because one specific page appeared on a blocklist.

There's probably little risk of that happening these days, but on principle I don't like the idea of an ISP only giving me access to "some" of the Internet.  Once I go FTTP, I will drop the Plusnet line and go Zen exclusively.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:52:16 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 10:09:06 PM »

I have been with PN for many years, since before BT bought them. There have been no problems with VPN. I have used access via three countries on my company account and also used Opera.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 05:12:43 AM »

I honestly don't understand it.

With only 10Mbit upload 0.5Mbit down I was getting 10% packet loss reported on pfSense and page loading stalling, downloads failing.
Maxing out my Zen connection with the same upload still running on the same VPN got 3% packet loss and no stalling.  I'm at a loss to understand what is going on.

Using the Plusnet connection directly I haven't noticed any issues.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]