Computers & Hardware > Apple Related

"Request desktop site"

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ronski:
My interpretation is that sites often present a layout optimised for small screens, if I want to view the full screen site then I request the desk top site, been using the option for years on phones/tablet's.

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: Weaver on April 26, 2019, 12:11:32 AM ---At work I looked at the spec for WAP which was something very very different from the internet. WML produced very crude and nasty results and no one took any notice of it.

--- End quote ---

I do remember hacking together some WAP content and putting on my own website as a means to an end to get a Java (J2ME) Applette to run on early handsets (early 2000s), just for fun.    I got it to work too and guess what, can’t remember a darned thing about it.   Filed under “things I have forgotten”. :'(

Chrysalis:
Those were the good days which wikipedia still does, where mobile sites were optimised for mobiles, and normal sites for desktops.

Now we have this horrible system where web masters optimise one site for both devices so they consider no need for two variants, alhough often its still optimised for mobile and doesnt look so good on desktops (excessive whitespace, large fonts, no pagination etc.).

Basically it can still be done as mobile devices can still be identified its just the way web development has gone to not do it much anymore.

niemand:
Take a packet capture?

Weaver:
That’s the right thing, I’ll capture it.

Another question, do any other browsers offer a similar thing?

If there’s no standard, how are web servers supposed to know what to do / what to look out for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version